June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, Marks_21, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 342 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,578
Posts546,602
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#345674 11/22/13 05:52 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents--I have a muzzeloader in hand that has J Grainger on the locks. In doing some research, I find there were a couple of J Graingers in England, possibly brothers. One, James, was a clock maker and lock maker. The other, John, made firearms. From what I find, John Grainger moved to Toronto, Canada in 1854, then back to England in 1868. My question on this gun is the lack of proof marks. All it has is the marks shown on the breech plugs which I'm not sure is an inspection mark or a choke designation mark. Should there not be more proof marks if made in England? I thought perhaps the gun might have been made during the period he was in Canada (where the gun is) as there are no proof laws here. But then why the marks that it does have? Or if they are just choke desigignation marks, might the barrels just have been stamped with them by the maker to show choke even if it was made in Canada? Or am I completely out to lunch on this gun.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 11/22/13 05:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

looks like a inspection Birmingham proof mark

there should be a set of marks on the barrels- i see part of one left

my GUESS, the barrels were redone and the marks struck off during the process

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is what I was able pull from the Internet Gun Club. Not very helpful.

Hopefully Roy will jump in on this one...

James Grainger
31 Vauxhall, Upper Wolverhampton
Gun Lock Maker
Exhibitor at the Great Exhibition in 1851
1851-1874

John Grainger
Toronto
1854-1868
Father of William. Became Grainger & Son in about 1856.

J Grainger & Son
Grahamstown, South Africa
Gunsmiths, Importers & Dealers
c.1865-1890

J Grainger (Jnr)
Grahamstown, South Africa
c.1882-1900
J Grainger (Jnr) may have been a partner in his father's firm, but in about 1882 may have left to open his own business as did W Grainger; his father may have taken in another son as a partner, or perhaps he simply kept the name including the "& Son". Several gunmakers by the name of Grainger ceased trading in England shortly before 1865.

I agree, that is a Birmingham view mark. Not sure what the law was for barrels meant for export.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete M
I believe that I saw this gun a month or so ago at the Woodstock, Ontario, gun show. My opinion then was that it was made in Birmingham and sold by John Grainger, Toronto.
I would agree that the remnants of proof marks are of Birmingham origin. All guns finished in Birmingham including those destined for export were/are required by law to be subject to proof testing,with appropriate approval marks applied upon passing proof.
It is highly likely that even semi finished barrels sold in the white for export would have to be submitted for provisional proof prior to sale.
According to some authorities, early complete guns made by John Grainger in Canada had the initials JG stamped on the inner face of the lock plates.
As a matter of interest; following the advent of the breech loader early Birmingham and perhaps London guns destined for export had all of the proof marks applied to the outside diameter of the barrel rather than on barrel flats. At some point in the late eighteen hundreds this practice was abandoned.[Perhaps to minimise the risk of creating stress raisers in the barrel caused by the presence of multiple stamp indentations.]

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys. Roy, most likely the same gun as it came from a guy in Ontario. I removed the locks but I can't see any identifying marks on the inside of the locks. Too bad whoever rebrowned the barrels didn't etch them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty nice looking gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It has a Joseph Manton style raised rib.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking at the gun again, I can see really no evidence that any proof marks have been struck off. But I could be wrong. However, it got me to thinking. If Grainger made this gun in Canada and ordered rough barrels that he finished here in Canada, how could the barrels be submitted for proof if they weren't ready for that step?

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.