I yesterday asked Canadian Firearms Program (the RCMP) about importing a Beretta double from Italy into Canada (which my nephew would buy in Rome). I received this today for members' information:

"Hello Kingsley
Thank you for your correspondence.

If your inquiry is about importing a Non-Restricted long gun into Canada, due to Bill C-19, you only need to contact Canada Border Services (1-506-636-5064 or 1-204-983-3500) for entry requirements for your situation.

Please see below what is required to import a RESTRICTED firearm into Canada:

You must have a Possession & Acquisition Licence (PAL) and you will be required to register the firearm before importation; you can apply to register the firearm on-line or download the application (CAFC 998) to register as a newly imported firearm from our website (www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf) or by calling the telephone number listed below.

Telephone Verification of the firearms must be conducted. By calling the 1-800-731-4000 and for International callers at 506-624-5380, a Client Service Agent will assist with matching the firearm to our Firearms Reference Table (FRT).

Individual should contact DFAIT and inquire about the International Import Certificate (IIC) whether a restricted or non-restricted firearm is being imported. If, depending on the situation, such permit is required it will be issued by DFAIT under the Import/Export Act. The number to obtain the permit is 1-800-267-8376 or (613)996-2387 if calling from outside of Canada.

When importing a restricted firearm, an Authorization to transport (ATT) issued by the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) will need to be provided to the Custom Officer along with the registration certificate and the PAL at the time of importation. The CAFC 679e Application for Authorization to Transport Firearms (for Individuals) is available online with faxing information to the appropriate issuing province.

Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to call 1-800-731-4000 and for callers outside of Canada at 1-506-624-5380.

Regards,
Scott"