May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jtplumb, Jimmy W, 67galaxie, 3 invisible), 288 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,557
Posts546,291
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#342846 10/28/13 02:10 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quiring,
How do you guys store you guns, muzzle up of dowm.

I have always tried to keep my shotguns down, rifles mostly up so they fit in the safe. Personally, I am not sure this matters with todays oils and guns... espcially if you use your guns alot and are constantly wiping them down.

I am curious how others feel... I have been thinking about buying the storage system where there is a rod in the gun barrel and it rises up and sticks to the vercro under the shelve. (Gun storage solutions)

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Gerald

I always store my shotguns in their cases with all parts of the gun in their allotted place so in the unlikelihood that there is any oil floating about it is absorbed by the case lining.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

All of mine are stored horizontally.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just finished the hunter Safety course with my 11 year old son on Saturday, and they recommended storing with the muzzle down to prevent oil from soaking into the wood stock. I store mine muzzle up because that is how they fit into the safe best, and I feel with the stock on the bottom of the safe, there is less chance of the stocks coming into contact with each other and leaving a mark. I also do not over oil my guns to the point where there is enough oil to "run into the stock".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a store it muzzle down fan for two reasons. First, it protects from any potential oil seepage, though we all try not to over-oil. Secondly, it takes pressure off of the wrist of the stock. It's possible that a thin-wristed stock could bend over time if it carries the gun's full weigh as when stored muzzle up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Muzzle down. Easier to protect stocks when moving around and also to prevent oil seepage. However, IMO oil or grease should be put on so sparingly as to minimize the possibility of migration. Lubricants are great magnets for dirt particles, especially when hunting.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Muzzle down. but on something soft, like synthetic carpet, not hydroscopic (doesn't attract moisture) and helps protect those thin muzzle walls of high quality shotguns like AH Fox doubles and most all of the lesser ones!!! grin grin

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sideways.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
Nice Man Cave.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Obviously you sideways guys, must not have a lot of guns or had an impressive gun room. Mine are in 4 safes, one hidden cabinet and one display cabinet. About 70 total.

Need more room for another safe or a way to get more guns in the safes. That is why I am impressed with the gun storage solutions. I am afraid the rods would not keep the guns steady enough in a shotgun barrel vs a rifle barrels. Check out gun storage solutions website.

The display cabinet I built is a wall unit and houses books and other stuff. It has a built in steel bar and heavy cable lock. Not impossible to break out, but would take some time.

I am a bit paranoid about theft. Was hit once a long time ago, before I had safes. Long story.

I have an alarm on my home and office where some are stored. I am sure the 1st breaking would not result in a loss because of the alarm and how the guns are stored, I worried there would be a second attempt knowing there are gun safes at my location. No more room for safes at home.

BTW Mike, I like your man cave, I am working on mine, but not quite finished yet.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.