There have been a lot of legitimate reasons given for those who advocate the use of safes and there is no denying a safe is more difficult to break into than a piece of furniture, yet a well designed wood cabinet w/tempered, hardened glass would withstand most efforts at quick entry. As BFrech mentions, the right tools will get you into anything, and a fridge dolly, as someone else mentioned, will just as easily transport a safe out as bring one in. I guess part of my antipathy toward safes, and the general run of arguments for them is that the arguments are in a sense negative: i.e. fire, theft, child entry, prying eyes, etc. We all want assurances and INSURANCE against worst case scenarios. That's ok until we begin to live tentatively or talk apocolyptically and paranoia creeps in. Prudence is one thing, paranoia another. However, everyone needs to confront life's dangers and losses (inevitable, since none of us escape alive) in the fashion that gives them an equable spirit. Finally, Lowell and I agree on one point: a good dog provides both companionship and protection.
Thanks to everyone who volunteered a response. Best, Will