June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, FlyChamps, 3 invisible), 339 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,595
Posts546,847
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hey guys, since this is obviously my first post, go a little easy on me wink

My father passed away around a year ago and left me his collection of guns. Most of them are standard, and easy to identify. I have had a bit of trouble, however, with this gun in particular.

From what I've read, the famous Westley Richards had a cousin named William Richards who was more than happy to use his initial while Westley always used his full first name.

I also know that there are a lot of "cheap" Belgian hammer guns that were also manufactured with "W. Richards".

What I believe I have is not a Belgian gun, but a William Richards, manufactured in London(?).

Anyway, I was wondering if some brilliant firearm minds could confirm or deny that this is indeed a William Richards and could also tell me around market value for such a gun.

Thank you all so much in advance!

"W. Richards Preston and Liverpool"

Thanks again guys!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi,

Welcome to the BBS. You have a Webley and Scott built gun, retailed by W Richards. The clue to the W&S origin is the big serial number on the bottom of the barrels. If you post the complete number we can run it against known W&S records.

The proof marks are from between 1905 and 1924(? not near my books).

The importer was Hill Rod and Gun of Bozeman, MT, They are a great company. Google them and give them a call. They might be able to tell you more.

On this BBS we love it when someone asks the first question.

Joe

I have a W. Richards trade label, if you ever want to make a proper case for your gun. (Dave will get his $10) jn

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty gun!

Here's a link to Hill Rod & Gun.
http://www.hillrodandgun.com/

Good luck!

Adam

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks guys!

I'll check out the links and post the serial # when I get home tomorrow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just from the way that the action is filed up, I would have guessed Arthur Howell & Co, Birmingham, early-to-mid 1930s.

But I have been wrong before.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geechums,

BTW your father's gun is listed in the Hill Rod & Gun "sold guns archive", I was just looking at photos of it the other day.

And if you ever decide that you might be interested in selling it please let me know, I think that it is an exceptionally well finished up Birmingham BLNE.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are in luck as the Makers are still in business although now situated in Yorkshire, England. He has full records of W.Richards guns; http://www.wrichardsguns.co.uk/ Your gun passed through the Birmingham Proof House sometime between 1925 and 1954. And, as it lacks a proof House date letter code that should narrow it to between 1941 and 1950 when they stopped coding them for some reason. If you click on the link you should be able to get more information. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Webley is not .Typical Birmingham "trade" gun . I have seen several with similar engraving and it appears to be nicely finished , looks to be a date stamp just in front of the flats on the right tube so that makes it after 1920 and as it has chamber length and shot load it must be after 1924. Is there a letter H preceding the serial number on the short rib?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunman;

It's fences are not typical of Holloway (H) but it could be one of their's. Yes, typical trade gun with Greener leverworks and slide saftey works.

Redoak;

Sometimes on A. Howell guns his stamp will be at the bottom junction of the barrels and action flat "AHco". Could be his brother's (William Howell) work though.

Bv

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun, i have one very similar. If you contact W.Richards I'm sure you will find them very helpful. They still have the records. There's an interesting section on the history of the firm on the website too.

Rust never sleeps !
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.