I've had my say, craig. We have different opinions. The tangibles of better lives for millions of Americans are mentioned in my second paragraph. Millions received better in health care, economic and gender equality, withdrawal from foreign entanglements, greater respect throughout the world.

Imagine the triumphant changes I see in the American human spirit from the civil rights struggle of barely 50 years ago, of cities burning, when America's finest troops with fixed bayonets forced the law, when a question for voter registration was "How many bubbles are there in a bar of soap?"

I was there through it all, and that's why I believe in the United States, and why the election of Obama to the presidency seems a miracle to me. (Knowing Fox is wondering about which soldiers, they were of the 82nd and 101st at Ole Miss; the night bayonet charge in Oxford's town square. Mostly black.)

Compare that to the United States of today. Fifty years ago Americans said being a Catholic shouldn't exclude from the presidency. I was there, too, when JFK broke through in the Wisconsin primary and then took next mostly Protestant West Virginia. Then, almost unbelievably, Obama six years ago.

Last edited by King Brown; 07/18/13 02:43 PM.