King, in 2012 Obama received 10 million fewer votes than he did in 2008.

In 2012 Obama received 2.7 million more votes than Romney, a 2 % advantage.

50% to 48% of votes cast according to the numbers DaveK posted above.

It's certainly enough to win the presidency but it hardly points to a consensus or even a strong majority of public opinion.

When I think of the facts I just noted above, it does not suggest to me that Obama is continuing to inspire in any but the most obtuse with hope for change. 15 percent of his own voters in 2008 just couldn't be bothered to go to the polling station just 4 years later. Where is the hope there? It's not like they switched their vote. They just didn't bother!

I know you are trying to think positively about a nation you admire, as I do. It strikes me that you are seeing that which you wish to see, rather than that which is.

I too think they got it right electing Obama over McCain in 2008. It could have been the start of something very good. The problem is, having made the monumental step of electing a black man President, they choose the wrong man. And instead, it could have been the start of something very bad.

Last edited by canvasback; 07/18/13 11:31 AM. Reason: Grammar

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia