It's common knowledge that at that time, Wm Evans did not manufacture his guns, but had them made for him in Birmingham. If I'm not mistaken, most if not all of guns bearing his name were made by ... Webley&Scott.

Now I don't believe I'm the only one here who studied Historical Comparative Linguistics back at college; I wasn't any good at it, so can't be absolutely certain. But I don't think, with 'steel' having either a long [i:], as in the English language, or a long [a:], as in German 'stahl', there's no way an Indo-European language could have a short [i] in it, and the spelling 'stil' suggests a short [i]. OK, so Hungairan is not an Indo-European language, but afaicr, Hungarian for steel is a borrowed German 'stahl', spelt without h. In a similar manner, I don't expect any language to have the word 'full' spelt in the way it is on the watertable here. The bottom line is, the 'stil' and 'ful' inscriptions on the gun, I think, are an attempt to fake 'European proof marks', supporting the Japanese origin theory.