June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (fullandfuller, Steve Nash, Argo44, Chuckster, Lloyd3, 1 invisible), 320 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,604
Posts546,899
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A few weeks ago I mentioned on this site that I was going to look at a Renato Gamba - Hunter Special. I ended up purchasing this gun. This 12 gauge gun is a boxlock with side plates that is in very good condition and the owner was willing to deal on the price since he had already lowered the price once on Guns America.

I've e-mailed Renato Gamba in the US and in Italy a number of times but have gotten no response.

I'm trying to determine the age of this gun. I've been told that there would be a Roman numeral date code stamped on the water table or barrel flats of all Italian guns but can find none. There is however a "12-70" stamped on the barrel flats. Could this be the code for December of 1970?

I'm also trying to obtain any information I can about the Hunter Special model. I haven't been able to find anything about this model.

Here's a few photos that show the water table and barrel flats. Can you tell anything from the information stamped here?

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2107221707

Any information at all would be appreciated.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

12 70 is the gauge and chamber length in millimeters (2 3/4").
Proof date codes can be found at this website http://www.hallowellco.com/proof_date_codes.htm Just look up the ones for Italy and try and find the marks on the gun. After 1975, the use of roman numerals was stopped and letter codes were implemented.

Last edited by Alder adder; 03/18/07 09:19 PM.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 12-70 is for 12 ga. 70cm [2&3/4"] chamber length. Unfortunately the markings that might help date the gun are just too small in the photgraphs to make out. Perhaps if you try setting the camera to 'macro' and shooting some more photographs it will allow someone here to further assist you. Try and get at least one good close up of what is on the underside of the bbls. as well. All markngs tell something. It would appear that the gun has a modern standard nitro proofs from the 'star' above the 'PSF' marking. Couldn't make out if there are two 'stars' or not, but if there is a second one then the gun carries a higher pressure proof. In either case it is safe with any normal modern loads. Usually the double star is for 3" chambers or the blue pill flyer loads like the Spanish load and use, i.e. 4 & 1/2 DE 36 gram thumpers. Stick to anything shy of a 'magnum' loading in 2 & 3/4" and you should be fine. A good rule to follow .. if it hurts you, it is not doing the head and wrist of the stock any good either. That holds true irrespective of the proof.

BTW, nice looking gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like an AI marking on the barrel flats. 1982.

Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Your correct. It looks like an A1 on the barrel flats. The A looks like it was double stamped.

On the right barrel is "KG1 280" and three stars and 18.4. Do the stars mean Mod. choke?

On the left barrel is "Cam 70" and one star and 18.4. The chokes are Mod/Full on the gun.

Both the barrel flats and water table have three stars with one above a symbol that looks like a coat of arms, one above the PSF and one above the word "FINITO". There is also "C.12" stamped on the flats and water table.

The gun was evidently imported by Thad Scott as stamped on the left barrel. When I contacted them, they said they had no information on the gun other than that they imported it as a used gun.

I paid $1,500 for this gun with a canvas/felt/leather case. Was this appropriate for this gun in good condition?

Tom C

Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mod/full chokes. I have a Gamba choked the same way and have not opened it up. I load spreaders and shoot them if I'm having trouble with the tight chokes. As far as what the gun is worth; what else could you buy for that kind of money? Gamba makes beautiful stuff and from appearances, yours is a very attractive piece. I find Thad's prices, on the whole, to be some of the lowest asking prices out there. There are some decent buys if you know what you're looking at. He's a great source for some nice fixer uppers if you have the skill/inclination to put in some sweat equity. Good luck with your new looker.

Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the information. I did not purchase the gun from Thad Scott. It was purchased at auction by a collector in Chicago who had his eye on another gun so he was in a hurry to unload it. As I mentioned, I tried to do a little research on the Hunter Special model before I bought it but could find absolutely nothing and I had never looked at a Renato Gamba before this. I may not have purchased it, except that the owner asked me to make him an offer. I made a low offer compared to what he was asking for it and to my surprise he accepted.

Thanks again for your help.

Tom C

Aldo Leopold

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.