June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, SKB, 1 invisible), 213 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,572
Posts546,462
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Seems to me it needs a much stronger spring. I am sure I am not the first person who thought that. Can I replace the spring? I have not looked at it to see if it's possiable?

Last edited by jeweler; 02/13/13 08:41 AM.

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is quite tricky to use, but I have found that being careful, one can get consistent results. The better ones I have seen have been (much) more expensive.

I'm not sure how the spring is done, but all these dial gauges have light springs - I suspect because they are a light (delicate) mechanism.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are talking about the Manson type gage, there is no spring. If used like shown in the horizontal position, the weight of the barrel holds it on the ball bearing for getting a reading. Also if the gage is in a vise and you slide the barrels and read the gage, there is a good chance that you will deflect the bar and get an inaccurate reading.
If you use the gage vertical, then you need a spring opposite the ball to hold the barrel tight against the ball as you slide the barrel over it.
I made a Manson type gage to be used vertical. I hung it from a rafter, the trouble is you need two people, one to write your numbers down, or else you have to slide the barrels off and then write the numbers. I mark the barrels in 4" increments and read the whole length from bottom rib to top rib, so there are quite a few readings.

The one that more seem to be using is the Hosford gage, it is similar to the Manson gage, except the bar is clamped on a table, the barrel is placed upon it and you then slide the gage over the rod taking readings while your other hand is rotating the barrel. You hold this gage by using the ring on the back end and putting your finger through it. Once the barrel is on the gage, you zero the indicator and glide it over the rod and read the thickness. This gage is $500.00 and you can use it from .410 to 10 gauge.
The other one that is used is the Galazan gage. It is used vertically, but on a table. It has two rods, one for 20-16 ga. and the other for 12-10 ga. You can read the whole barrel from top rib to bottom rib. The top of the rod/s have a ball bearing and on the opposite side have a spring that holds the barrel against the ball. This gage cost about $450.00.

I made one like the Galazsn gage, it is good for home and not for shows as it is heavy. I'm not sure that the Hosford one is show-able also, as you would have to clamp it to someone's table. Not sure how they would like that.

I have posted pictures before, but I will post another.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Monty, after many years of experimentation and use of the Manson gauge in all positions and with and without the Gaddy modification, I now only use the gauge in the horizontal position with the barrels held in a vise or by a helper. The other poster is right about clamping the gauge in a vise. It doesn't work. You clamp the barrels, support the gauge end with a short rope loop and zero the gauge while holding the the ball between the thumb and index finger of the other hand. Then insert the ball in the barrel and take your readings. Rotate the barrels for readings on 90 degree surfaces and on the other barrel. This method was taught to me by the master, Mr. Jon Hosford. Sorry for the edit. I think I got it right this time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore, why is the manson gauge in the horizantal position superior to hanging it vertically ?

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

At this juncture I have yet to get an accurate measurement from the manson gage. I am both rocking the rods, though they seem to rock less when held in the vertical and getting the rod off center where I'm perpendicular to the surface and getting sidewall readings. Are there any videos on how to use this infernal thing?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Colonel, I never thought to ask Jon that question. He showed me how to do it and I've been using his method ever since. By the way, I edited my post to explain the correct way to zero.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for the follow-up. While the Manson Gauge is not the greatest it beats having nothing at all.

The look of the Cabela's gun library staff when I show up with my Manson gauge, bore light, chamber gauge et al is classic. While they do not describe their guns as well as they could over time I have to admit they are at least cooperative in working with me.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Youtube on how to use the Hosford gage. Part one and two.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jQZn4kohH4

In using the gage to measure breech you need to lay it on a table and have someone hold and rotate barrel or else do it the way he does. In my opinion, not a user friendly way and again, my opinion, the most critical area we want to see wall thickness readings.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm still a believer in measuring the ID and OD of barrel to get wall thickness. The short coming of that method is the outside edge of the barrel where it is most likely to have been re struck to polish out a dent, is the area most likely to be thin and it can't not be read using the OD/ID measurement. For that measurement that I wish I had a thickness gauge. But as I've said before, the manson gauge remains beyond my understanding and capabilities.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.