Greetings, Colleagues.

My congressman has come out for draconian gun control. Nevertheless, I believe it is important for me to speak up and write to him on this issue. First, in order to attempt to show him the light. Second, so that he will know that there are involved, dedicated constituents who strongly defend the 2nd Amendment in his district. The following is my most recent e mail to him. His website required me to select a topic from a list which he provided. The only vaguely appropriate topic offered was, "crime & guns." As you will see I declined to use that topic and instead selected the heading, "other."

"Thank you for your response to my previous communication. My topic is "other" because I am addressing a matter not specifically listed among your options, "Civil liberties & guns." All our treasured constitutional rights come at a societal cost. The 2nd amendment is no different. Alas there are madmen & criminals in our society. Ownership of firearms by the general public protects us from these elements and from the potential threat from tyrants, foreign & domestic. Please consider this conscientious objection to gun control. Thanks..."

We should all write to our representatives, even if we know that they are in the wrong camp.

J.K.B. von Falkenhorst