Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vol717
No 13 seemed to add brightness and color to the stock wood, and detail to the metal. Were the conditions the same as with the other colors? I can't say that I prefer the background color, but it does wonders for the subject.

No. 13 had a longer exposure, what I need to do now is try a few different colors with it but any of the muted grays seems to work best. All the colors in the world don't help if I don't take a good picture in the first place. What I'm finding out with this thread is that what I like may not be the best for others.

Here is the same exposure with a gray background.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/mjpetrov/color19.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/mjpetrov/color13.jpg

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, can you elaborate a bit on what you like and what you are finding from others ? I really like pictures that show all the detail of the engraving, so that the lettering etc can be seen easily. I wonder if multiple lighting sources make this more difficult, or can a "good" camera with the proper lenses usually do what I am talking about ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

No pain here, Michael. Your pics just give me pleasure. Keep it up.

I'm with Lowell on the composition stuff. I've always liked the stuff in DGJ because of it.

I've not always liked the "flat" lighting, most of the DGJ pics seem to have, for showing detail. But it sure makes the guns look good, maybe much better than in person. For Oooo and Ahhh stuff, flat lighting works well with most things. But for detail definition or color presentation, other lighting often is better.

One of the easiest ways to get soft "flat" lighting is with a bounce of a flash off of white walls or ceilings.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Mike, can you elaborate a bit on what you like and what you are finding from others ? I really like pictures that show all the detail of the engraving, so that the lettering etc can be seen easily. I wonder if multiple lighting sources make this more difficult, or can a "good" camera with the proper lenses usually do what I am talking about ?

Daryl,
Well, I did not think anyone would like the bright colors but my sense of color is so bad I had to ask. I like the pictures a little more on the darker side where I think they show the wood better and maybe a darker background. Looks like what I need is more practice getting the wood and metal a little lighter and making sure the detail is there. For the close-up of the engraving I use a little background lighting and hand hold a defused light, normally under or over the engraving until it is sharp and clear in the viewfinder. The better the camera the less problems but proper position and lighting will help with any camera.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael, tell "Anonymous" that I absolutely hate him and ask him if he will put me in his will and then die soon... just kidding. What calibers are those beauties.

BTW, while I suck at this sort of photography, I do make a lot of public presentations, and of course, lectures. One thing I try to avoid are greens and reds since red-green color blindness is so common. It is not so easy to do as one might think at times, but anyway, consider that some X% of your target audience is likely to be at least partially color blind.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would suspect that if you look at the colors the top end case makers use regulary,you will find the ones that display the best for wood, color and engraving, combined. But with photos of a specific area of a gun, that may change everything. Interesting topic!

CH

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Michael, tell "Anonymous" that I absolutely hate him and ask him if he will put me in his will and then die soon... just kidding. What calibers are those beauties.Brent

Well his will go the same way mine will, at auction, someday, just buy a catalog and get in line .

The long-range is .44-100 Ballard Everlasting the other .38-55.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is anyone using a strobe for lighting? One well known gun photographer made the suggestion, however a good stobe(s) look like about $1,000.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think hot lights (quartz lighting instruments) are easier to work with. With digital cameras adjusting for quartz color temperature without losing 2 stops to a filter is not a problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael,
The two pics I posted of the engraved Nitro on page 4 of this thread are both with a strobe. In the top one, I bounced it off the wall to the left. On the second pic, I shot it directly at the subject from the camera mounted flash.

Here is yet another flash picture with the light bounced off the wall to the right and at a low angle.

This pic is with the flash bounced off the white ceiling and making the light very flat.

Last edited by Chuck H; 03/15/07 05:29 PM.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.