May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (graybeardtmm3, LGF, Nitrah, Jtplumb, Themauserkid), 292 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,554
Posts546,264
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David
Michael,

I have emailed a jpeg to you. I don't use a photo hosting site, so that's the best I could do. It is a test photo that I just shot using a mottled grey canvas background that I painted myself.

Best regards,
David

Posted for David, he can explain.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, it seems even the pros don't get the gun lit up as well as it could be using a white background. Of all of them , I prefer the grey. The Holt Auction catalog uses a fairly dark blue and their photos are great. I enjoy the guns, but really have seen enough tweed and other stuff.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

WOW! I have been away from the computer and backed up. I’ll try to answer all questions. I have tried cloth and do have parachute cloth but did not use it on this one. I’m using reflected light off dull white. Yes all the pictures were the same with only the color changes, the last one (13) was a longer exposure by myself. I have never taken a picture with the camera in auto ;-).

SDH, with your help I’ve got this far, glad you like it.

Daryl, Thanks I’ll pull a Holt’s catalog and have a look.

The thing I don’t want to do is distract from the gunmakers artistic work. It’s been difficult to capture firearms the way I see them. The warmth and glow of a hundred years of patina is hard enough to convey in words, pictures are just as hard to master.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

My impression is that the background should be of a color(s) that has (have) as little opportunity of being confused with a/o sharing with colors of the subject. Thus colors in the firearm such as blues (action case color), reds (case color and wood), greys (action), and browns (wood) should not be used as background in photos of a firearm. I think that some of the photos with a dark green background work quite well. That being said lighting is prolly most important in that it shouldn't be so direct as to create reflection but light and diffused enough to show the details. Also the background color(s) should not detract attention from the subject (yellow should be dismissed but straw or mustard might work well).

Sidelock
Sidelock

To my eyes white washes out the highlights of metal work.

To convey the guns true appearance from a technical standpoint gray would be best. I imagine this is what you're looking for.

To sell a gun a dark background makes the gun "pop" and the contrast looks good.

I have to say though I like the 3D effect that David Drew's mottled background provides.

BTW you can buy a used edition of Photoshop on Ebay relatively cheap. Professional photographers and the like have to keep up with the latest edition and frequently sell the older editions. I have a 5 year old copy for Mac that suits me fine, it has more stuff than I'll ever use.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the things I found is that lighting will drastically change the way casecolors appear. The pics below illustrate. Actually, the direct flash lighting shows them closer to reality than the bounced flash diffused lighting.

With other features of a gun, different lighting such that shadows are cast to detect texture, may be needed. Experimentation may reveal the best solution for a particular subject detail.

Figure of wood is particularly sensitive to lighting changes on how it appears in pics in my experience.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[/quote]

Michael, Thank you very much for posting the photo for me. I shot the photo in a hurry more to show the background and didn't have time to set up the reflectors I would normally use. It was shot with two Nikon strobes mounted on a Really Right Stuff Flash Bracket. One strobe faced forward and had a Lumiquest soft box, the other faced 180 degrees and fired into a circular reflector held by a boom stand.

The effect is to illuminate the foreground subject and have sufficient distance between the subject and the background that the background will be out of focus. The soft background provides some texture and some variation without drawing your attention away from the subject. These painted backgrounds are available from any of the photography suppliers, but I made this one.

Best regards,
David

Nice work, here's one small suggestion. When non-flat lighting is used, the stronger light generally should come from above, not below. We're used to seeing things lit by the sun and sky, highlights above and shadows toward the bottom.

Fred
Sidelock
Sidelock

I threw this setup together in a hurry because I was working on another job and just wanted to show the background to everyone. The master stobe was above with a softbox and the fill strobe was set to fire at about half power and was aimed backwards and upside down firing at a round light disc type reflector. I couldn't spend a lot of time on it. Normally I would build a silk tent and use hot lights on individual stands and use distance to regulate the fill light.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a point I recall from my photo classes in college, some fluorescent lighting tends to be magenta (pinkish) which has a "cold" cast. Of course, with digital cameras and computer editting, color cast can now be changed drastically at will.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.