I really enjoy pigeon shooting! I have a perazzi 30" MX2L that works just great. To me the real world series in this game is the hand thrown one! A good colimbare is the real deal. Then its you against the other man. The bird is just an active part. For this I use a 28" Bertuzzi hammer gun and for me it does just that hammers the bird without hammering me.
The shells I have used with the best results are 8's then 7 1/2 both copper plated. I have used 9's on the first shot on box birds with dramatic sucsess.
I took my grandson for his first look at one of these shoots when he was 11. It was a practice session and there were only about twelve older gentlemen there all of whom were old friends. All he had for a gun to shoot was a 26" SKB 28ga over an under with #8 shot this was not going to go well but at least he could get the feel was the consesus of the group. Sure enough the first bird out of the box had a nice safe flight home. The next two were killed, but were out of the ring. He was being to careful. So with the words shoot them in the eye as soon as you see them coming out of the box ringing in his ear, He did just that! I mean those birds were toast and never got further than 6 feet from the box. Needless to say the other gentlemen were drop jawed but we all agreed on one thing its not the arrow its the Indian. Youth, eyes and reflex do the trick
My last word is for the naysayer sounds like to me you couldnt hit them in the eye.
Regards
John Mc