Originally Posted By: william annin
Can anyone shed some light on this, I am looking at a Marlin L C Smith, 68 - 71, field grade, it is my understanding that all of these field grades where 28" barrels, 12 ga, with Mod and Full fixed chokes. my question is I am looking at on now that the seller claims has a 3" chamber. I cannot find any reference to these guns made by Marlin between 68 & 71 that have 3" chambers, there are also no makings on the gun that I can find to reference 3" chambers. Did some of these guns come with 3" chambers?? If in fact this gun does have 3" chambers would it be an after market modification??

The Original catalog for the 1968-1972 Marlin re-introduced L.C. Smith side by sides, says all were 2 3/4 inch chambers....

Exact factory printed information as follows:

Offered in Field Grade $325.00 and DeLuxe $400.00 Models...

12 Gauge 2 3/4" Regular or Magnum shells....

Right Modified, Left Full choke....

LOP 14"... 1 1/2 drop at comb...2 1/2 Drop at Heel...

28" barrels with Simmons floating ventilated steel rib with front and middle bead sights....

Weight about 6 3/4 lbs.

Also noted under other details are the facts that include Marlin used cyanide case colors on these guns instead of the original bone and charcoal case colors, the raised rib was in fact an aluminum rib and 'glued' in place...the trigger plate is stamped THE MARLIN FIREARMS COMPANY INC.

2,539 Field Grade guns were built between 1968 and 1972, 188 Deluxe guns were built during the same time period and roll stamped Deluxe on the water table.....Serial numbers all preceded by FWM (Feather Weight Marlin).....

There is no mention of any 3" chambers on these guns, so most likely the gun you're looking at was "owner altered"....

Hope this helps...

Doug