Despite using them for differing kinds of shooting I have found that I can adjust to differing drops fairly handily. That said, it is much easier for me to shoot one with "excessive" drop than one with not enough. I cannot bear having to cheek the gun hard to prevent looking down on the rib. I know from much experience I will shoot high with this setup, and it will most likely kick me on the cheekbone.

Having a long neck (me!!) makes it easier to adjust to varying amounts of drop. How? Most field guns have a rearward sloping comb, meaning that the spot on the comb that you cheek it determines the amount of Drop at Cheek (DAC). This is what really matters, not drop at heel(DAH). Having a long neck allows me a bit of leeway to cheek it where it needs to be cheeked to get the picture down the rib right. Though it sounds like a contorted way of fixing things it is second nature with me. I shoulder and cheek the gun, and find that "sweet spot" on the comb, and just use it. Just a little bit of fore and aft movement of the cheek will make a vast amount of difference in the effective drop on these old guns having over 3" of drop. The more the Drop at Heel, the less movement is required to "make it look right".

All that is fine and good, but anybody is far ahead of the game by having the right amount of drop for the style shooting being undertaken, as gunman aptly described.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.