Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Boxlock
Boxlock

Robert C,
Thanks for the feedback from G&R. I'll get some close up pics off to Mains soon. Gun is presently in hands of local master engraver for detailed inspection/opinion. I really appreciate your follow up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
I recall--but I think it was on another gun-related website--a poster providing some photos of a really nice Model 90 in the "Skeetking" version. I've never seen one of those in the flesh, but the 1940 Shooter's Bible lists the price at $70 vs $40 for the standard model. That's close to the price of a Browning Superposed back then.

Here are some photos of my 16 ga. Model 90 Skeetking. Only available in 1939 and 1940, they were special order guns with upgraded wood and hand engraving . The engraving on this gun is very similar (some of the patterns are identical) but more elaborate than on a "standard" Skeetking. Chokes were typically adjusted at the factory to give the best pattern at 20 yards (bottom barrel) and 30 yards (top barrel although mine was choked Mod/Full. This one has a non-selective single trigger but most were DT's.

Last edited by BarkeyVA; 08/24/12 09:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
BarkyVA,You could resculpt yours and rust blue the barrels yourself. As far as the other work, its up to you what youre comfortable working on.Steve

Nice! While I might try putting "cold" blue on the barrels, no way would I tackle rust blueing or resculpting the stock. I don't have the woodworking tools and I don't feel I have the skills to do a good job.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BarkeyVA
Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
BarkyVA,You could resculpt yours and rust blue the barrels yourself. As far as the other work, it’s up to you what you’re comfortable working on.Steve

Nice! While I might try putting "cold" blue on the barrels, no way would I tackle rust blueing or resculpting the stock. I don't have the woodworking tools and I don't feel I have the skills to do a good job.

BarkeyVA,
Read this article I wrote for the .410 website http://www.fourten.org.uk/My410RossiSquireProject.pdf please take special note of the specialized woodworking tools I used (LOL).
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great job! Thanks for the encouragement.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barkey, thanks for posting. Those photos are as close to a Skeetking as I've ever gotten.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Barkey, thanks for posting. Those photos are as close to a Skeetking as I've ever gotten.

There is a nice article in Double Gun Journal, Volume 20, Issue 2 (Summer 2009) pp. 82-89, entitled, "Marlin Model 90 Skeetking," by James Tyson. It has some excellent photos of the typical factory hand engraving on Skeetkings.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.