June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Stanton Hillis, fallingblock, Roundsworth, dukxdog, Lloyd3), 325 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,575
Posts546,551
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an old Belgian hammer gun that was given to me marked "best rolled steel." It looks like fluid steel to me. I have also found one as a parts donor marked "fine steel." I haven't been able to handle the gun, the owner says it is damascus. I have only seen pictures, but I can see no pattern at all in the steel.

I think these are probably both fluid steel barrels. Does anyone know what those designations mean for sure?

Thanks,
CHAZ

Last edited by Hoof; 07/25/12 12:19 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the absence of an International Commission on the Nomenclature of Fluid Steel Shotgun Barrels smile folks called their barrels whatever they wanted - and certainly the marketing fellas got involved.

Just a few examples:
L.C. Smith - Armor, London, Crown, Nitro
Parker - Titanic, Acme, Vulcan, Parker Special Steel
Lefever - Dura-Nitro, Royal Nitro, and Premier Nitro Steel.
J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. Model 270 was listed with Nitro steel.
Tobin doubles were fitted with Trojan Nitro Steel and DeMoya Fluid Steel
Folsom/Crescent American Gun Co. "Midget Field Model" was listed with Nitro steel barrels but most were Armory steel, as were A.J. Aubrey/Meriden Fire Arms.
Some Sears tradename guns in the 1908 catalog had Wilson's Crystal Steel, and the 1897 catalog included a single barrel with 'rolled steel'
http://books.google.com/books?id=pavHOWOWKEEC&pg=PA524&lpg
Baker Gun & Forging - Ho mo-tensile, Flui-Tempered, Holland Special Steel.

And all the tubes were made in Belgium
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=17ixogftgITEblNUWtmFBv96ZvgjK6eFell8GsAWd-KI

There was a call here and the PGCA site in 2005 "Contribute Junk To Advance Barrel Strength Knowledge" with the hope of obtaining vintage barrel samples for composition and strength testing. I spoke with a gentleman about 2008 who unfortunately had abandoned his plans because of health problems. To know if there is any actual difference in all these tubes, a bunch of barrels would need to be sacrificed.

Anyway - if you think the barrels are twist or damascus, dab white vinegar on a soft cloth and scrub a small area underneath the forearm and a pattern should appear

Last edited by Drew Hause; 07/25/12 03:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chaz,

According to one the curators at a museum in Belgium, he guestimated that 90%+ of all fluid steel coming out of Belgium was produced by Cockerill. As for terms used, they where just marketing hype.

The majority of info about steel formulation comes from Krupp. I am sure Raimey has a better grasp of that than I do.

I donated a good number of barrels to that project....

Pete

Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Really stupid question, are "rolled steel" and fluid steel the same thing?
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes

Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.