June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Stanton Hillis, fallingblock, Roundsworth, dukxdog, Lloyd3), 325 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,575
Posts546,551
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

L Brown,

I'm pretty confident about Nikko burning down and will check on the date. I'm still learning who's who in the gun business here. The two Japanese I know who are REALLY knowledgeable, so I have a lot of questions for them. The challenge is getting together - we only see each other once a month or so and never have enough time to talk AND shoot - and only one of them speaks English.

Sincerely,
Patrick
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Nikko made guns for Winchester (such as the 101 I have)

That's new info to me. I thought all of the real 101s were made in the joint venture Olin-Kodensha plant.

Quote:
Mirokus are popular in England and Europe, but not so much in the US. They do make Guns for Charles Daly and Winchester.

It's been a long time since Miroku made any guns for Charles Daly. I have never seen a Winchester made by Miroku. Do you have any model numbers?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Replacement,

I don't disagree with your statement that the the 101s were made in the joint venture between Winchester and Nikko. I think my sentence and yours are compatable. Nikko also sold the same gun under the Nikko name within Japan (with the nicer stocks). With regards to my tense that Miroku makes (present) vice made (past) guns for Charles Daly, you may be correct. I don't know if they currently make for Charles Daly, just the they did. Their Website does NOT show the Charles Daly. For Winchester, Miroku's Japanese web site shows they make reproductions of the lever action rifle models 1885, 1886, and 1892 Trapper.

I fully confess that my knowledge is very new and very lacking, so your info could certainly be greater than mine, and I appreciate the challenges to help me learn more and verify what I may spout off.

Sincerely,
Patrick
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
For Winchester, Miroku's Japanese web site shows they make reproductions of the lever action rifle models 1885, 1886, and 1892 Trapper.

I was thinking strictly shotguns, but I believe you are correct on the rifles. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is some info from Bluebook Publications re Nikko and Olin-Kodensha:

Quote:
NIKKO FIREARMS CO., LTD. : NIKKO HISTORY AND GENERAL INFORMATION
The publisher wishes to thank the Golden Eagle Collectors Association for providing this publication with the information listed. Please refer to the Golden Eagle heading in this text for information on Nikko manufactured Golden Eagle firearms.
Both Nikko Firearms Co., Ltd. and Nikko Arms Co., Ltd. were trade names used by the Kodensha Co., Ltd. of Tochigi, Japan on products they manufactured and distributed worldwide. Nikko is the name of the Prefecture, or district, in which Tochigi City is located, about 50 miles north of Tokyo. The word Nikko translates to English as "sunshine." Kodensha first manufactured or distributed under the Nikko name in April 1955, and exported out of Japan beginning in August 1958. Nothing is known of the origin of the Kodensha Co.
Kodensha first approached the American shotgun market in about 1958 or 1959 using the Japanese export marketing firm of Kyowa-Boeki-Bussan. They contacted various U.S. distributors, and in about 1959 or 1960, Continental Arms Co. of New York City began importing the Nikko "Grade 5." Continental imported these Nikko over/unders, in various models and configurations, until about 1972.
In 1962, the Kodensha Co., Ltd. formed a joint venture with Olin/Winchester of New Haven, CT to produce the Winchester Model 101 over/under shotgun. This venture was known as the Olin- Kodensha Co. Ltd. Added a little later was the side-by-side Model 23, and the Model 96 Xpert (a budget priced 101). The "pre-Olin" Kodensha factory was considerably outdated, and the joint venture began a complete modernization process, with the financial and technical assistance of Olin. Millions of dollars of machinery and technology were brought in, and the entire manufacturing process was upgraded to the then current standards.
One of the conditions of the joint venture was that Kodensha restrict their own products (made in the same factory, but recorded separately from the joint venture) to sale in Japan only. At the outset of the 25 years that the joint venture existed, Kodensha was probably amenable to this, as they were reaping huge financial and technical benefits from Olin. But, by the mid 1960s, when the factory was in place and running smoothly, Kodensha essentially ignored that condition of the agreement, leaving Olin at somewhat of a disadvantage, not wanting to jeopardize their investment or production source. Additionally, Olin/Winchester was allowed only two permanent personnel, hardly enough to monitor the activities of a factory which employed up to 400 people. As an example, when walnut stock blanks arrived from France, Kodensha took first pick, and Olin got what was left over.
Kodensha converted an existing building near the manufacturing plant into an assembly area for Nikko, and other brands of guns. This building was probably the "true" Nikko Firearms Co., Ltd. Manufactured components from the Olin-Kodensha factory were carted to the Nikko plant for final assembly and fitting. This "dual-factory" arrangement continued until the mid 1980s. In 1981, for an unknown reason, the Olin-Kodensha name was changed to OK Firearms Co. Ltd. In October 1987, Olin/Winchester sold their interest in OK Firearms to Classic Doubles International, which continued making the 101 style shotgun under their own name. For reasons unknown, Classic Doubles went out of business in December 1988. Shortly thereafter, the entire factory was torn down.
During the "dual-factory" days, Nikko produced firearms for the following distributors or retailers: 1) Kanematsu Gosho of Arlington Heights, IL approx. 1974-1982 - distributed Nikko brand shotguns, Golden Eagle brand shotguns and rifles (1975 through March 1977 only); 2) Golden Eagle Firearms, Houston, TX March 1977 through early 1981 - Golden Eagle shotguns and rifles; 3) Tradewinds, Inc. of Tacoma, WA exported from Japan by Caspoll International, Tokyo January 1971 through December 1972 - Shadow Seven; Shadow Indy (Model 707); Gold, Silver, and Black Shadow over/ under shotguns; 4) Marubeni America, Inc. of New York City 1972-1974 - Miida brand over/under shotguns; 5) Winchester GMBH of West Germany, manufactured by Olin-Kodensha (dates unknown - early 1980s) - Winchester Model 777 rifle (Golden Eagle look-alike); 6) Parker Reproduction shotguns, distributed in the US by Reagent Chemical & Research, Inc. 1984-1988; 7) International Star Commerce Corp. (ISCC) of Salt Lake City, Utah approx. 1982 - distributor of Nikko brand shotguns; 8) Moore Supply Co. of Salt Lake City, UT beginning mid-1981 - distributor of Nikko brand shotguns; 9) USA Nikko, Inc. of Los Angeles, CA (factory reps and distributors of Nikko shotguns), initial date unknown, through December 1981; 10) Weatherby, Inc. of Los Angeles, CA May 1972 to 1981. Centurion semi-auto and Patrician pump shotguns, some Mark 22 rifles. Olympian O/U shotgun and possibly other O/Us from 1978-81. Model 82 semi-auto and Model 92 pump shotguns; 11) Savage Industries of Hamden, CT 1981-1982 - Savage/Fox FA-1 and FP-1 shotguns; 12) Charles Daly. "Automatic" distributed by Sloans (Japanese made only) mid-1980s; 13) Sears, Roebuck Co. Ted Williams Model 400 and possibly others; 14) Churchill semi-auto, imported by Kassnar mid-1980s; 15) High Standard of Hamden, CT 1974-75 - Supermatic Shadow Indy (Model 707, an O/U), Supermatic Shadow Seven (also O/U), and Supermatic Shadow semi-auto.
NOTE: ALL of the semi-auto shotguns used essentially the same design. Each distributor may have made a few cosmetic or dimensional embellishments to differentiate their gun. Differences exist in barrel/breech fit, magazine caps, pistol grip caps, checkering pattern, piston size, ejector location, fluted bolt. Use caution if interchanging parts. Generally, the same statement can be made about the pump versions also.

https://store.bluebookinc.com/InstantAccess/Model.aspx?product=5&id=1294

Looks like the Miida guns came out of that plant, along with plenty of others, but no mention of any affiliation with Miroku. I put a Nikko stock on my Win 101 12 gauge, just because the Nikko stock was so much nicer, and it had a hard plate instead of a vented pad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I could be wrong, but I've always thought that it was the Miroku factory that burned down... hence the reason for the spotty records.

I've also had a Nikko skeet gun that very nice... much nicer than the equivalent Winchester 101 (from the same factory!) and about half the price!!!!

Its unfortunate that Miroku can't market guns in the US (part of their agreement with Browning). I think their line up of guns is better than Browning's.... their styling that is. Plus, they'd probably be cheaper.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Considering that Miroku produced the millionth Citori not all that long ago, I'd guess that their deal with Browning suits them just fine, and they would not want to risk losing it by marketing guns under their own name in the States.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I WOULD like to learn a lot more about MIroku and their marketing. L. Brown, you're probably right with regards to their deal with Browning. Since Miroku is so successful in Europe, and everyone in the US who's shot a Miroku, likes them, I suspect they would be very successful in the US. They are great guns, but oddly enough, most that I handle don't seem to fit me too well.

Nikko's seem to always fit me better, and the ARE some beautiful guns. Below is a Nikko Model 812 I got here - the wood is great.

Sincerely,
Patrick
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Replacement,

Thanks for posting all of the info out of the Blue Book. I read that about a year ago, but forgot where I read it.

Sincerely,
Patrick
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.