June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 401 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,670
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#270747 03/15/12 08:37 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I don't need it, I want it. But all these lovely old hammer guns seem fraught with peril. Damascus barrels, black powder proof, nitro proof, fluid steel, sleeved barrels, etc. It's a different and complicated language on this learning curve. What's a guy to to do if he's willing to shoot (and pay for) RST softy loads, but isn't sure that even those can keep his eyes in his head and all his digits attached? In other words, I need a primer on buying a hammer gun that won't blow up. It's a lot to ask, but teach a man to fish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Get a Husquvarna(sp) or a Russian Tula, they both make modern (1940-1960 or later) hammer guns. The 16 gauge Tula I have even has 2.75" chambers.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe:
For a primer on vintage hammer gun wisdom get yourself a copy of Diggory Hadoke's "Vintage Guns." Still in print I believe. You will learn much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry Joe, I got distracted from my last message.

There are lots of different makes of hammer guns that are safe to shoot with modern ammo. Try looking at the Husqvarna models, many have lefaucheux break actions (how cool is that!) and are safe to shoot with modern ammo. I recently picked up what I suspect to be a 1950-60s vintage Russian made 16 gauge Tula SXS hammer gun. Its not the prettiest or fanciest gun by a long shot, but its literally built like a tank, I honestly wouldnt be afraid to shoot any factory 16 gauge ammo through it. I spent $300 for it and right now its my latest project to turn it into a kick-a$$ pheasant gun. This gun was heavily molested by some Russian goober hammer mechanic, but I think with some resculpting of the stock and cleaning up some dings goober left with his hammer on the metal work it'll clean up into a very nice looking gun. Anyhow, it'll be fun project.

You just have to look around. Go to this thread http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=270597#Post270597

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 03/15/12 09:27 PM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can afford RSTs check out the guns listed on Diggory's website vintageguns.co.uk. These guns are in proof and are as safe as you'll find anywhere. Just ask Dig

Sidelock
Sidelock

Husqvarnas for a starter gun, light, balanced strong...shoot good..And not too spendy...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Minneasota, don't be skeered of the Damascus Guns.
Most of thos stories were started by lawyers for the ammo and gun companies.Just look at the quality of the gun, the bbls etc.
Remember, most black powder loads had higher pressures than moderate smokeless today, particularly the Rio,Keman types with progressive powders. Eg. Reo 2 3/4 x 1 oz trap are about 7100 psi.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stallones
Minneasota, don't be skeered of the Damascus Guns.

SSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!

Enough people are on the lookout for damascus hammerguns. In fact, enough are already on the lookout for good hammerguns.

MNJoe - sure I can't interest you in a nice auto or pump action? ;-)

Boxlock
Boxlock

Joe, first of all,like others have said, you don't need to be afraid of vintage damascus-barrelled hammerguns. If you can get your hands on Sherman Bell's series 'Finding out for myself', he has some outstanding articles on the strength of these old guns. Secondly, check out the used shotgun section of gun stores. Our local shop regularly has vintage doubles come in and they are usually happy to put a low price on them and sell them once the local gunsmith has given them the all-clear (he also appreciates the old guns). Take a look at the old double hammer gun. Does it lock up tight with no movement or wiggle? Are the bores shiny? If it is yes to both, chances are you might have a good vintage shooter. You may want to check the wall thickness to see if the bore has been reamed out a bit. If not, and if it is shiny, you are in business! I found just such a gun, a 130 year-old hammergun with shiny bores, no pitting, and still a fair amount of case color on the frame, made in Birmingham, UK and all for $Cdn 430.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want a stout gun with steel barrels look for an L C Smith with Royal steel barrels.The ones i have came from factory with 2 3/4 inch chambers.Bobby

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.