I have added some more detailed pictures of the engraving to the auction. Hopefully these help some. I am most sure the forend & iron are original to the gun. The scroll engraving certainly looks to have been done by the same hand and the lines per inch is the same on the forend and grip. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271080231

Some may prefer a restored gun with new case color, fresh rust blued barrels and perfectly sharp recut checkering. If the gun were a basket case perhaps I would consider it, but it is tight on face and hinge, has shiney bores with some very light patches here and there and is mechanically just fine, certainly good enough to take hunting. The few buggered screws really don't bother me enough to remove the originality and history from the shotgun.

A wise German handgun collector friend once told me that "if an old gun shows now patina, its not original" I personally prefer originality if at all possible over a dolled up restoration no matter how well done, but I know this is for another discussion...

Last edited by Jared1; 01/25/12 02:13 PM.