May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (HalfaDouble, MattH, 1 invisible), 541 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,549
Posts546,222
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#254618 12/03/11 05:04 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello All,

First post for me, I was referred to this site by an on-line acquaintance. I have searched, but nothing popped up in the last year.

I picked up a vintage 12 gauge (12 bore) shotgun two weekends ago at the SLC (Utah, USA) Gunshow. It is a greener action, exposed hammers (left hammer doesn't match though!) double trigger and is marked "Wm Lee 28 Lancaster St Birmingham & Kimberley" on the top middle between barrels.

It has nice engraving all over the metal parts (except for left hammer), not much original finish left, damascus barrels and the stocks are well worn with "C.V." scratched into the buttstock and missing the buffalo/ebony tip for the forestock.

I did find this info in the NOTES of an online auction house:

Quote:
Other Notes: Established in 1860 in Fleet Street, William Lee moved in 1861 to 9 Lancaster Street. In 1872 the firm moved to 21 Weaman Row, taking over the premises formerly occupied by Caleb Lee who may have been William's brother. In 1875 the firm moved to 28 Lench Street and at about this time the firm took out a patent, which may have been for an under-lever action.
In about 1875 a member of the family (possibly E J Lee) appears to have sought his fortune in the 'Big Hole' at Kimberley, South Africa, where a gun dealing business in the name of Wm Lee was opened. Rifles and shotguns engraved 'William Lee, Birmingham & Kimberley' show the association.
In 1900, William Lee moved to 28 Lancaster Street in Birmingham.
Soon after 1900 in South Africa, the name of the firm changed to E J Lee and this firm appears to have closed in 1908 at the same time as the Birmingham firm closed.

QUESTIONS:

#1. I am looking for more info on this fine shotgun, but where should I start?

#2. What is a good reference book?

#3. I need to get its value appraised for insurance reasons also, who could do that?

Not looking to sell, it'll be a novelty keeper/wall hanger that I plan pass on to my son one day.

Thank you kindly!

~William

Here are the pics I could take:

Shooters Right Side of the Shotgun, beautiful engraving!

--

Underside of the Shotgun, again a real beauty in my jaded eyes!

---

Underside of the Chambers:

----

A cracked stock. Well, I don't expect anything less from this old girl!

-----

Real Ugly & Sadness: Non-Matching hammer, washer & screw:

=========

Other than the non-matching hammer, I think its a real beauty of an OLD gun.

I traded a $350 rifle for it, so I don't "think" that I lost on the deal...

Or did I? confused

Just curious as to the real value so that I know what sort of rider policy to have it insured for. How can I accurately establish this value as well? Or do I have to send it out to get it appraised?

Sidelock
Sidelock

If this gun had walked into my shop I would have told you the following .From the pictures you have a typical though quite nicely finished , hammer gun that were made in large numbers for the colonial trade . Simple locks black powder and functional. Basicaly you have $350 in an old gun that is not safe to shoot as it has a broken stock.You already have as much imformation as you are likely to find.Without knowing what the barrels are like , internal condition etc. it would be foolish to speculate to any potential value it might have with remedial work carried out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let's not sugar coat anything, in fact let's do what we can to curb this fellows enthusiasm, eh. I thought that was jOe's job here. What I see here is a diamond in the rough. However, I agree that he should have the barrels checked out before he starts polishing this diamond up.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not beleive in telling folk lies and half truthes. There is is enough of that already . I stated what can be deduced from the photos . An old hammer gun with a broken stock and an odd hammer ,not safe to use ,fact. If Will likes it and wants to spend money on it to make it safe to use ,then all well and good.But if the barrels are in a poor state then all you have is an atractive wall hanger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not beleive in telling folk lies and half truthes. There is is enough of that already . I stated what can be deduced from the photos . An old hammer gun with a broken stock and an odd hammer ,not safe to use ,fact. If Will likes it and wants to spend money on it to make it safe to use ,then all well and good.But if the barrels are in a poor state then all you have is an atractive wall hanger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Will Blastem

Other than the non-matching hammer, I think its a real beauty of an OLD gun.

I traded a $350 rifle for it, so I don't "think" that I lost on the deal...

Or did I? confused

Just curious as to the real value so that I know what sort of rider policy to have it insured for. How can I accurately establish this value as well? Or do I have to send it out to get it appraised?

An insurance rider of 50 bucks should cover it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First knock him down then kick him. This will make him more enthusiatic about SxSs. Why not just say it was an ok trade, but before anything have it checked out by a compenant gunsmith, may be a nice wall hanger. Tis the season to be jolly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No use sugar coating a horse turd....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunman, you live in Britian and see some really nice shotguns on a daily basis, around here the typical SXS is a beat-out old farm impliment. My point is around here, when one runs across a British shotgun, even one with repair issues it still deserves a second look.
jOe, how you can pack so much negativity in so few words is truly a mystery.
Seriously Will, one thing both Gunman and I agree on is having good barrels is key. Have the barrels checked out by a competant gunsmith, one who is familiar with or specializes in SXS's. If he pans the gun simply because it has damascus barrels, without doing further inspection, walk away because he's just proven that he don't know squat. Many of these old guns have had the barrels reamed to remove pitting, what you need is to have the barrel wall thickness measured. If the barrel wall thickness is adequate, then repair the stock. There have been numerous threads on the subject that can be researched right here. If it were my gun and everything checked out and I'd repaired the stock I'd take it out and shoot Winchester AA Low Recoil/Noise or Featherlites through it. There are also shot shell manufacturers that specialize in low pressure loads for these old guns.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

There you go trying to sugar coat it....the gun is not worth having anything about it checked out.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.