June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (azgreg, eeb, Gr8day, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 273 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,578
Posts546,597
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#254547 12/02/11 05:37 PM
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

do not recall ever seeing a thread about muzzle loaders here. anybody have any interest? i do...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunt with them all the time. Some flint, some percussion. Where I live it is mostly dove and turkey for me. I can't bring myself to use non-toxic shot in my Damascus/Twist/Laminated barrels. I can't remember right now when I used a breech loader. BUT I still love my Baker's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are threads on muzzle-loaders here occasionally. Tony restored one recently. It looked beautiful.

I shoot muzzle-loading SxS's quite a lot (often in NH). I have some Pedersolis (one older 12 gauge that is under 6 lbs and a joy to handle). I also have a couple of original percussion guns. I got into them through the back door, but I do enjoy them.

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

there used to be some very active muzzle loading shoot gun shooters in missouri and arkansas...there even was an interstate shoot off for the champion ship. does that still go on?

also, is shot gunning still an event at the NMLRA meets in Friendship, IN?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I too have one of those Pedersoli's Lorne speaks of, mine weighs 5.5 lbs. A PITA to reload, but where else can you find a 12 gauge SXS with 28" barrels capable of shooting 1-1/4 ounce loads. My first muzzle loader was a 20 gauge single barrel I had in high school and used it to shoot squirrels. Since then I've had a 10/9 gauge Manton, in rough shape, but I still used it to hunt pen-raised pheasants. The other muzzle loader was a 36 gauge SXS that I just recently had to sell because of economic considerations. I also used that one to hunt pen-raised pheasants.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, for more information on muzzleloading shotguns and scheduled shoots, etc., contact the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Associaiton in -Friendship, Indiana. Lots of shotgunning goes on,

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love my muzzleloading weapons. Aside from RockDoc's Belgian Guild 36 double I bought from him my arsenal includes a nicely restored Westley Richards 12 bore perc double I acquired from Tony, a 14 bore William Chance double, a Purdey 16 bore double, a stunning Patrick Mullin 10 bore double and the pride of my percussions, a Joesph Lang 18 bore double rifle (circa 1835).

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

kid: was pat rick mullin a new york maker or was he english?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Patrick Mullin was trained in Dublin- in New York City 1850-95
Best Americam Maker Bar None IMHO
Bill McPhail

J W McPhail
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

bill: i have only seen a couple of mullin guns. they both were well made and plain. perhaps the finest looking american made percussion gun that i ever saw was a krieder, made in phildelphia.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
do not recall ever seeing a thread about muzzle loaders here. anybody have any interest? i do...

ML shotguns don't seem to get the "respect" that their breech-loading counterparts do. This is a shame. If there is any such thing as an "ultimately versatile" gun it is the ML percussion shotgun.

Perish the thought, but if I had to choose a "doomsday gun" I would seriously consider one of these guns. There are very few tasks that they can't perform at least adequately well and, if caps can be obtained, there is nothing that they can shoot that can't be either scrounged or made. Even caps can be made, after a fashion, if need be.

On a less grim note, I have never had more fun than when I shoot ML shotguns. They are forgiving friends and I continue to be surprised at just how well they can be made to perform.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And the least fun cleaning them...

Sidelock
Sidelock

If done correctly cleaning BP fouling is no more difficult than cleaning fouling made by smokeless powder. Certainly is no more challenging than cleaning corrosive powder residue. BP's "aroma" can be a little "different" but IMHO it is no worse than the fragrances of a lot of smokeless powder cleaners.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cleaning black powder guns is certainly very different from smokeless (and somewhat counter-intuitive). However, once one gets the technique down, it's not that big a deal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the continuing Urban Myths - cleaning a blackpowder gun is harder and more time consuming than cleaning a modern smokeless firearm. I will take the simple construction of a flintlock rifle firing a patched round ball over a modern bolt firing copper or lead bullets any day when it comes to really cleaning a rifle. And percussion shotguns firing paper and fiber wads will be done long before you get the plastic off your choke tubes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's just nastier and can not be put off....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I solve that problem by dismounting the barrels and step into the hot shower with them along with a cleaning rod. Clean the gun at the same time I clean myself. All the black powder crud and corruption goes right down the drain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

BP smells like the morning after I've eaten a dozen hardboiled eggs, and a pint of pickled garlic washed down with a six-pack of beer. sick

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never never never use a long handled brush in the sink in your wife's clean kitchen to clean a double after an afternoon of shooting black powder shells. Don't ask how I know this!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
BP smells like the morning after I've eaten a dozen hardboiled eggs, and a pint of pickled garlic washed down with a six-pack of beer. sick

Part of the charm! Part of the charm!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Never never never use a long handled brush in the sink in your wife's clean kitchen to clean a double after an afternoon of shooting black powder shells. Don't ask how I know this!...Geo

You are a brave man. A bit foolish, perhaps, but brave!

FWIW I have always found that the more "field cleaning" one can do before going home the better the chances are that "The Storm and Strife" will be at least tolerant of one's BP shooting proclivities. Just a few alcohol-soaked patches can take out and off most of the smelliest "Schmutz". The alcohol patches can easily be carried in a small "Tucks" jar. (Don't ask me how I know this.) A cleaning jag mounted on the gun's ramrod will be sufficient for this purpose. An swabbing and wipe-down using a couple of oily patches (I prefer Ballistol.) will hold the gun until it can be gotten home for a full cleaning.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.

That's the best moniker juxtaposition I've ever seen on this board.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

That's why I'm single.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.