Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I’m humbled by Doug Mann’s outstanding artistry and wouldn’t feel comfortable posting in the same thread. But, since I’m way down on the checkering ladder, only a rung or two above a novice, I thought I might be able to contribute something useful to folks thinking of taking up the tools for the first time. This is not a “how to” or a substitute for Monte Kennedy’s book, but I do want to share some tips that I haven’t seen in books.

My tools are pretty primitive and my patterns simple, so if you aren’t overwhelmed by what this little overview entails, then go for it!

Starting with the glasses (Wal Mart readers with clip-on, flip-up 4X magnifiers), the tools are laid out clockwise in order of appearance.

I start with a couple rolls of auto pinstriping tape in 1/8” and ¼” widths. They serve as border lines to lay out my pattern. I can peel it up, move it slightly, curve it, lay it down…..in essence, draw and erase until I have it perfect. The widths (I wish I could find 3/16) are great for spacing the pattern away from the top tang and up from the grip cap. Also, one of the biggest challenges for a beginner (it never goes away) is not over-running the edges of the pattern and the tape helps. It’s not an excuse to charge the border, but it does help.

Next is the diamond template. You can experiment with various ratios, but I’ve settled on 3:1 for all my work. The white paper one is not a tool, but just for illustration as you’ll see later. The tool is the transparent acetate diamond with the reference scribbles on it from the last job.

The remaining layout tools are a couple of flexible straightedges (a plastic ruler and a feeler gauge), a fine tip marker and a scribe. This one is made from a dental pick. I experiment with filing different tips on them.

My light source is a small adjustable lamp so I can direct the light very low from the side to create strong shadows. It doesn’t have to be powerful, even though I sometimes checker in the dark with this as the only light source.

These are all the cutters I used in the following project (these and others are available from Brownells). Dembart makes a spacing cutter with a smooth edge to ride in the last track while the other edge cuts the next line. I’ve come to prefer to use the double edge cutter for layout as well as cutting for depth. To do a complete stock I’ll likely go through 3-4 of the double cutters (I like to start with a fresh double cutter on each panel) and 2 each of the fine and coarse singles….that’s about $25 worth of disposable cutters.

A jointing tool is useful for straightening errant lines and a triangular riffling file helps finish up the border lines and edge diamonds.

The next 3 pics show the use of the tape to lay out my pattern. I’ll lay it out and leave it. I'll study it the next day and maybe make an adjustment. I can change it all I want, but I don’t start cutting until I’m completely satisfied.

These next 2 pics are something you’ll never see on my bench. They are visual aids to show how I chose to orient the diamonds to please my eye. This is not only a matter of taste, but very important since I’m doing a point pattern (as opposed to fill). Later you’ll see how the forward edge of the pattern is completely defined by individual diamonds and you’ll appreciate the design aspect of angling the diamonds just so.

Let’s take a deep breath and carve into that beautiful finish I spent the last month on!

I used my template and pen to draw what I want the finished, forward edge to look like. Then I used a straightedge to draw my 2 master lines and some parallel lines through the pattern. These will provide a visual check of my progress; giving me early warning that my lines are wandering off the straight and parallel so that I can correct just as I screwed up….gradually. I used my straightedge and scribe to mark the master lines and now I’m cutting VERY LIGHTLY AND NOT TO THE EDGE with a spacing cutter. It can’t be stressed enough how life altering this first pass is. I make mistakes here, but the lines are so shallow, barely scratching the finish, hardly even through into the wood, that I can correct before going on. I can’t actually erase the bad line, but it’s so shallow that I can override it.
Notice that the only part of the forward border that’s clearly determined is the ends of the master lines. Notice how the rest of the lines consistently end short of the marker lines. That’s because, unlike a fill-in pattern, the border will result only when I’ve completed the lines in the other direction, as in this pic....

Here I’ve scribed all the layout lines in one direction and starting working off the other master line….now the final forward border has been defined.

Another 6-8 passes, alternating with the double line and the single coarse cutters and I’m about 80% done. You can see the first-pass mistakes I made as faint lines in the middle of the pic….those and the very slight, almost-over runs will be obliterated by the final passes and only you and I will ever know I made those screw-ups.

Time to peel the tape off.....

In the scope of a custom gun project, checkering by a real pro is a relative bargain. It’s not something to tackle if saving money is your motivation. The learning curve can be long and very painful unless you have the patience to practice on scraps and inexpensive guns. For me, it’s the most satisfying stage of a DIY project. If nothing else, maybe I’ve helped you decide whether it’s a skill you’d like to acquire.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great post!
Just fantastic.
Thanks for taking the time.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I think Mr. Doug would back up my assesment that you have done a fine job hands down ! You should be very proud of your checkering as well as your stockwork and finish -- well done by all means. I would suggest the next time you checker, flood the checkering with Krazy glue until it won't absorb anymore. The benefits will be total moisture and oil resistance, no pores in diamonds (filled with glue), a soft santin sheen to checkering that the figure pops thru and sharp diamonds that wear like steel. I have a stock made of easter black walnut --pretty but soft. Once this sealing was done the checkering was cut (24 LPI) and you would think you were checkering Eng. walnut. Many thanks for the pictures, FWIW Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288

Outstanding Post! And beautiful work:)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Campbell:

An exceptionally well done presentation. Fine work with both word and picture.

I didn't see any flies on that checkering job, either. Very nice work!

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.

Mike,

Great work and a well written tutorial.

Ken,

Can you give a little more detail on the Krazy glue aspect? I understand how to use it when recheckering a punky bit of old oil damaged wood, but on fresh checkering what's the process?

Do you scribe your lines, then glue then deepen to form up the diamonds? Or do you apply it before any cutting? How woould it penetrate?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff --- I used krazy glue before my last finishing cut. Reason--- by total absorbtion / saturation , the wood fiber is tatally impregnated with the stuff. When it has dried, there are no pores left unfiled and after the final pass with the finishing/fine toothed blade the checkering will leave a satin finish the same color as the finished stock. I would keep a baby's toothbrush handy as you checker to remove dust & all those fuzzies that appear in soft wood. By "carefully" cutting finer LPI, keep dust and fuzz to a min. with brush. Before the last pass, flood checkering with Krazy glue until all areas won't accept /absorb anymore. I the blast remainder off with compressed air & make final pass. You will have diamonds that you can grade skin off nuckles but not break points. You will find flooding inletted areas with this product will seal it from moisture/oil as well as strengthen wood. FWIW, Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great post Mike. I'd say Monte Kennedays book doesn't have much on your post.
A job like that doesn't need crazy glue.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Ken;
I've filed your great tip about the crazy glue and will definitely use it!

I build cabinets with spalted maple and use cyanoacrylate to seal and harden punky spots.......never occurred to me to use it for punky checkering...duh!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I just learned more real world, useful information from this post then I have from several pages, of some well known books on the subject. Fantastic post. This info should be added to the "FAQ Knowledge Base" Thanks Mike. Bob

The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness.
-John Muir

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.