One thing I'd like to mention about this conversation:

While I may receive varying degrees of disagreement with people that goes from "polite contention" to absolute hate mongering that I'm somehow a pawn of gun-grabbers, I'd like to point to the path where even if I"m right, none of this makes any trouble for us as sportsman.

1. If we do not leave carcasses or gut piles in the field, there is no need for a lead ban in rifle cartridges. (plus it's rude, sloppy and gross. I hate when my dog finds YOUR garbage and rolls in it)

2. If those that must shoot varmints for legitimate reasons (protect their land and crops), and should they insist on leaving the caracasses to rot, they could simply buy non-toxic rifle rounds in most calibers from 17 HMR to .30-06.

If sportsmen were a little tidier on cleaning up after themselves and using due care, they could go a long way to protecting both our 2nd amendment rights AND protect our natural ecosystem for which they gather so much enjoyment.

Being a conservationist and sportsman is about being a gentleman. (or Lady) Shotgunners seem to be the most "gentry-esque" of sportsman on the average and the varmint hunter to my way of thinking tends to be the most un-sporting on average. If we can either change the habits of the fringe members of the hunting sports, or if necessary segregate ourselves from them, we may very well continue to enjoy the privilige of shooting lead.