I was officiating at the Commonwealth Games Clay shooting events held at the hallowed English Bisley ranges in 2002.
Over a beer at the end of the day, the talk got around to the subject of lead shot. Bisley has been in continuous use as a rifle range since 1890, in recent years as a shotgun range too. The Bisley management state that the lead laying around does not cause a hazard to life as there is little water on the grounds and is of no concern.

At the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games we officials were discussing the possiblity of being forced to use steel shot for ISSF World Cups and Olympic Clay Target events. It is my understanding that the ISSF would prohibit the use of steel shot because of the danger to shooters, officials and spectators, due to the high risk of ricochet of steel pellets from the targets and infrastructure such as skeet houses and trap bunkers.
Don't shoot your eye out, right?
Reclamation of lead shot at shotgun ranges is practical and cost-effective and is the answer.
I would not suport an event such as this Epic Game Fair as they are insisting on non-toxic shot except for a bone tossed to lead shot users of a small set aside area. The organisers say they will have loaner guns for steel shot on the sporting course, well, if I can't shoot my Wm Evans and am forced to use a borrowed Mossberg 500.
So I'll just stick with the Flatwater and hopefully the UP shoot for 2012, can't afford the Vintagers Cup, but I would if I could.
Send a strong message to the Epicureans,
1) stuff your no lead ban
2) I'm boycotting your event

If you do go, make sure you have the best wrap-around shooting glasses you can buy, aviator styles won't protect your eyes enough.
Mike