Originally Posted By: buzz
Again, another poorly designed question on my part. I should have asked 'and why do you think they are the best'?? I realize this is a controversial and subjective issue, but I think there are strong and weak points about all of these guns and this is what is fun and informative to talk about in my humble opinion.

OK my bad too so here's my testimonial why I like old Remingtons. I started hunting with my Dad's 10 bore model 1889 and my Uncle gave me his model 1900 12 bore when I was a kid. Neither one are engraved. Both have damascus barrels that have stood the test of time so I guess they were built rather strong in those days to take heavy hunting loads. I don't use those loads anymore but the guns are every bit as tight and the barrels ring true as when I started hunting 40 years ago. Now that I'm on the downhill side to 60 years old (55 actually) I use RST loads and stop to smell the roses when I hunt. I also have an Ithaca, model 24 Winchester fence post, and an imported something or other from Brazil double but when I want quality time in the field I'll take my Remingtons anyday.

Last edited by J.R.B.; 05/28/11 10:46 AM.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.