June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, WBLDon, Borderbill, LeFusil, 1 invisible), 463 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,583
Posts546,712
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not contend that longer forcing cones do not improve barrel performance. What I said was is that there is no empirical evidence to substantiate that claim. If someone is happy with the reamer results - cool. Forcing cones are difficult to eyeball and a crappy one could be difficult to detect but one improved by recutting could be a boon. To my eye, the Perazzi cones look very rough but the results on the board and targets completely negates any desire on my part to change that.
So I currently have nothing that feels the need of the time and expense involved. Maybe if I could qualify for it I might be tempted hahahaha or not

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I wouldn't count on lengthening a forcing cone reducing max pressure to any extent. Pressure has peaked & starting to fall by the time the shot gets into the cone. To effect pressure by much the chamber is going to have to be so short as to actually retatrd the opening of the crimp.

Every shell out of a single box of shells fired through the same gun will give a slightly different pressure reading. I Highly suspect had Bell run a lot larger sampling those pressures would have tended to be even more equal than he showed.

I would tend to agree . . . except for the fact that I don't believe he ever recorded an INCREASE in pressure as a result of a lengthened cone. There was always some decrease. I do agree that in order to determine how much of a decrease one is likely to get, you'd need to fire several shells (all the same loads) through the unaltered cone, then do the same through the altered cone and take an average.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
SAAMI is of course only a recommendation, not legally binding. Also I believe their recommendations for the cone are for a "Minimum" cone size. Any maker shoud be quite free to lenghten theirs to their hearts desire & still be able to say it was to SAAMI Specs.

Since SAAMI is only a industry org, it's obvious they have no legal authority. On the cone length, the only information I have is a hard dimension, in this case an angle with a reference length for the finished cone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello 8B,

Here are some quotes from the article related to different tests involving a
comparison of same shells before and after the lengthening:

"Modifying the 2,5 inch chamber with a long forcing cone dropped the breech pressure slightly to 11,045 psi (from 11.125 psi), The pressure at the cone dropped more significantly to 7500 psi (from 8,100 psi), or almost down to 2,75 inch pressure value."

"When the long-coned figures are in, we see a drop of only 220 psi, to 8545 psi at one inch but again, a nice fall-off of 800 psi to 5500 psi at the forcing cone."

"The much-anticipated data with the long forcing cone was a pleasant surprise. The breech pressure returned to 6385 psi, virtually identical to the longer chamber figure. At the front of the chamber the number is 4700 psi, which is even lower than in the long chamber".

But, having re-read the article I must now keep in my memory bank (don't know for how long it will stay) Mr. Bell's last remark:

"But I might have the forcing cones lengthened, assuming the barrel wall thickness will allow it. I wouldn't bother for the slight pressure benefit but as a fussy handloader, I hate it when my hulls have that nose-cone shape. I have no proof, but I think patterns will be better when the shot charge has a smother, unrestricted ride into the bores".

I other words I am leaving my Manufrance Idéal as is and shall continue to shoot 67 mm CIP shells from it galore.

And thank you for making me re-read the article and mend my ways.

JC(Alway Learning)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

For those who may find the partial Bell quote confusing, let me say that the "nose cone shape" of the lip of a shell is not from a short forcing cone, but from firing the shell in a chamber actually shorter than the case. Short forcing cones don't do anything to a shell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

8B, you are spot on on that (as usual). Thanks for clarifying.

JC

P.S. For those interested the complete article is in "The Double Gun Journal",
Volume Twelve, Issue 4, Winter 2001. jc

Sidelock
Sidelock

At least with plastic shells, you seem to get some "nose-coning" after you've used the same hull several times. I can notice a definite difference between once or twice fired hulls and 8 or 10 times fired hulls. And that's in 2 3/4" chambers.

I doubt I'd have cones done for the relatively little pressure reduction either, but it was an interesting result of Bell's tests.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am firing a shell in a chamber actually shorter than the case and I get no "nose-coning". Clearly 67mm shells in 65mm chambers are nothing to worry about.
And no SAAMI shells for me thank you!

JC

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm using a full 2 3/4" paper in a 2 9/16" chamber and I get a little shredding of the hull in the I.D. of the crimp. I load them twice and toss them. There's a definite indication of the chamber being short on the hull outside as well. I'm running a measured 6500psi load.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JC, at one time I assembled quite a collection of fired hulls. I discovered that some 67MM hulls were as long as some 2 3/4" hulls (none of which actually measured as long as 2 3/4"). If you measure your chamber and measure your hull, you may also find the hull isn't actually any longer than the chamber. I was surprised at the amount of variation.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.