June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (FlyChamps, Jusanothajoe, SKB, 1 invisible), 466 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,586
Posts546,747
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

Mark,
I have a Poli pigeon Gun with 32" barrels, Briley chokes, Palm Swell and single trigger. I don't know what you could do to improve that combination. I also have a Model 21 with 30" barrels that handles very similarly and would do the job as well.
Don't beleive that you can get an RBL Sporting Clays 12 ga. anymore. Production run is over, I believe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I pondered this issue of a sxs clays gun last year about this time and posted the question to this board at least once. I had narrowed my choices down to basically three guns - an RBL 30”, a BSS 30” but with new stock/forend or a Poli. I shot all three at various times and ultimately decided on the Poli and have not been unhappy with this decision. I shoot sporting clays fairly regularly in both competition as well as casually. I currently have a 32” Blaser F3 as my main competition gun but have also shot a Beretta SO4 in competition. With my Poli I can shoot similar scores over the same course and it is great fun to shoot. My gun was imported by Coles and was designed (seemingly) to shoot clays as it has a palm swell, double triggers set at about 3 lbs, Briley thin wall chokes with overbored barrels. The gun has a semi beavertail forend so it is quite trim and the handling dynamics are superb. In my opinion, the RBLs that I have shot feel much less dynamic than this gun but it depends on what you want. This gun is more like a pigeon gun than a heavy “grooved swing” skeet or trap gun (or some sporting clays guns). Overall, I am extremely pleased with the purchase.
As an alternative, I had looked seriously at building a clays gun on a BSS platform using a 30” barreled action. However, with the initial purchase of the gun (1500), stock work (1500 - 2000), barrel work and chokes (600), etc I quickly was over the purchase price of my lightly used Poli Sporting Extra (side plated model). If you can not find a good deal on a Poli, which I think is an outstanding gun for clays or pigeons, then a “home grown” BSS clays gun is probably the best alternative for a nice gun around $3K. SKB also made a nice sxs specifically designed for clays but I like my Poli or the BSS route a bit better.
Have a great time with this as sxs are much more fun to shoot competitively than an O/U. In most events sxs are rare and if you shoot it even reasonably well, those that you shoot with will think you have extraordinary skills.
My thoughts
Z

Sidelock
Sidelock

The best sxs sporting clays shot I have ever personally watched used a BSS. He took a 30' model, had choke tubes installed, had it case hardened and refinished then had a drop dead restock job by Dave Wills in Montgomery. It is a great looking gun and he shoots it well. He may have close to 4 grand in it but I would pay twice that for it if I could shoot it as well as he does. I wish I had a photo to post.

Tyler #220826 03/07/11 10:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tyler
The best sxs sporting clays shot I have ever personally watched used a BSS. He took a 30' model, had choke tubes installed, had it case hardened and refinished then had a drop dead restock job by Dave Wills in Montgomery. It is a great looking gun and he shoots it well. He may have close to 4 grand in it but I would pay twice that for it if I could shoot it as well as he does. I wish I had a photo to post.

Tyler,

Dave actually is considering building another custom BSS (or any Miroku SXS). He has me on the look out for any good deals on a 20ga. So keep that in mind if you come across a good deal.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anna Nicole. Born in 1926. 32" barrels choked IM/IM, 8 lbs even. A little over 38,000 rounds fired since her makeover 3 years ago. Two-time Bo Whoop Championship winner.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A double trigger, extractor, low mileage Fox, similar to Mike Campbell's gun, is my recent maximum effort project for sporting and flyers. I am headed to the stockmaker with $2200 invested. This one is not going to be cheap, but it will be reliable. I will keep the total within reason by being conservative with the engraving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,

Is this the cross-over stock you've mentioned before? If so, who's doing the work? That would be a fascinating project to follow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Similar to the BSS line of thinking...the local shop has had a Charles Daly (Beretta mfg.) on the rack for quite a while.
This gun has BTFE, ST, Semi-pistol grip, tight chokes and 30" tubes (2" short of your requirement).
I'd guess it's in the 7 1/2# range (maybe a bit light?). If I were a duck or goose hunter, I'd have snapped it up by now.
This gun is in nice shape and could be had for 800. It would also make a good turkey gun or a "posting" gun for phez.
I think there are lots of good directions you could go with this. A fun project--good luck.
-jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Mark:

You might consider this German gun. Although made in 1924 it has pretty modern features including a type of beavertail forend:

http://www.safarioutfittersltd.com/EuropeanPage44.htm

Maker: GERMAN "NO NAME"
Model/Action: 1924 DELUXE SCALLOPED BOXLOCK, S/S, SIDECLIPS, HIDDEN CROSS BOLT, BOLSTERED FRAME, COCKING INDICATORS
Engraving: BEAUTIFUL FULL COVERAGE SCROLL, DEEP CUT FENCES
Bore/Caliber: 12GA
Barrel Length: 34" VERY RARE BBL LENGTH
Chamber/Proof: 2 3/4
Chokes: F/F
Rib: STD GAME
Ejectors: YES
Triggers: DBL

Stock: NICELY FIGURED MED-DARK WALNUT, ST/SPLINTER WITH THIN EARS
Dimensions: LOP 14 1/2, 1 1/2, 2 9/16
Weight: 8LBS 7OZ
Scope/Sights: NA
Case: NA
Overall Condition: VERY MINT ORIGINAL CONDITION, 99% CC & BLUE, EXCELLENT BORES!
Reference #: 7-3571
Price: $4,695

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, one more. Deep River Sporting has a 30" Charles Daly Miroku for sale. It is priced right. Double triggers I beleive. Only issue is it is a little short on the LOP.

Mike Proctor
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.