Originally Posted By: L8Apex
Hello Raimey, Mike, and Pete...

First off, thank you all for your taking the time to respond to my thread and to post your research. Thank you Pete for jumping into the thread and for explaining the meaning of the anchor mark. What about the other anchor with the "Z?" Any ideas as to what this signifies? And what about the Imperial eagles (not the proof stamps, but the etchings on the shotty barrels)? Any idea as to whether this signified anything in particular?

I am not sure of the Z. The eagle was used by a dozen or more Liege makers in one form or another. Francotte used an eagle, but I have not seen like that on one of his guns.

There is a heavy German influence in Belgium during this period. They pressured the Belgians to increase their pressure standards when proofing a gun. The Germans took control of Pieper's factory once he died. They also took control of FN. During WW1 they used the FN factory to supply parts for their small arms. This period, 1892-1919 is known as the German School in Liege. ( Herstal, where FN is located, is just across the street from Liege. ) After WW1 this control came to an end.

Pete