June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (irs, prairie ghost, bushveld), 178 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,600
Posts546,885
Members14,426
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#191101 06/03/10 04:12 AM
DPI Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have an E. Blancke gun that we don't know the age. It came home from NAUMBURG A/S in 1944. my father found it in a castle during the war and I sure would like to find out more about it. I do have a few pictures. DPI

Last edited by DPI; 06/03/10 04:14 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Need to post any markings(names and numbers) that are stamped on it.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

DPI, I like the subtle way of describing war booty. :-) Looks an interesting gun anyway. As Don says, more information on proof marks and barrel condition would help identify. I have a Belgian 24 bore and a Greifelt drilling that found their way out of occupied Europe by similar means. Lagopus.....

DPI Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

"L.PFEIFFER.VORM.E.BLANCKE.NAUMBURG A/S". These are the only markings on the gun. They are inlaid in gold on the rail. DPI.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would say that L. Pfeiffer possibly was the son-in-law of E. Blancke of Naumburg A/S as that is usually how the business was transferred. So as a marketing ploy the new owner, usually a son-in-law if not a direct heir & assign, would continue to use the old name as say also known as or previously knows as hence the Vorm. Post WWI there was a Robert Pfeiffer of Suhl and I'd guess him to be a relative, possibly son, or L. Pfeiffer as the whole of Suhl & Zella-Mehlis was sourced from components as well as completed weapons by the rest of the continent. Also there in Suhl about the time the example was made there was a Gottfried Pfeifer who was a top foerster for one of the kings.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

DPI Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

So, do you think that L. Pfeiffer would be the builder under the E. Blancke name or the person that the gun was built for? DPI
P.S. I sure would like to find out more about E. Blancke. DPI.

Last edited by DPI; 06/03/10 02:59 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd say L. Pfeiffer marketed under, and may have trained under, E. Blancke but more than likely sourced components from Suhl. I'll look but don't be surprised if E. Blancke was just a firearms merchant, which had to be a master gunsmith but as time progressed they shifted to solely being a firearms merchant only. Very seldom, if ever, will the purchaser's name be on the top rib but his/her initials we be in the form of a monogram on a brass/silver oval. Pic of the underside of the tubes may point to the maker that was sourced.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

A quick glance netted that evidently old E. Blancke was a pretty respectable gunsmith in the Naumburg on the Salle River area and that's why Pfeiffer continued on his coat-tails. He attended the Paris Worlds Fair of 1855(?) and may have won an award. He peddled dueling pistols as well as percussion arms so he probably worked until the last 1/4 of the 19th Century.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

DPI Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thx so much. Got some more questions. Does NACHF. mean anything to you? Also, I have found several engravings on the non barrel metal peqices. The include a buc and doe junping the forest, a fox, two pheasants in the forest, and two rabbits jumping over a fence. The interesting thing about the rabits is tha one is upside down and the other is right side up. DPI.

Last edited by DPI; 06/03/10 05:04 PM.
DPI Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
A quick glance netted that evidently old E. Blancke was a pretty respectable gunsmith in the Naumburg on the Salle River area and that's why Pfeiffer continued on his coat-tails. He attended the Paris Worlds Fair of 1855(?) and may have won an award. He peddled dueling pistols as well as percussion arms so he probably worked until the last 1/4 of the 19th Century.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

That is exactly where my father was in 1944 hiding in what he called a "wine castle" from heavy german tank fire when he found the gun. DPI.

Last edited by DPI; 06/03/10 05:03 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.