I've decided it's time for me to finally purchase that light 12 I've been wanting for several years. I'm looking for the best in a new (or lightly used) gun that I can get for $3000 or under. Among other options, I'm seriously considering a couple of the Ugartechea models offered by Lion Country Supply: in particular, the Grade III Boxlock (least expensive grade with ejectors) and the Grade IV Sidelock (least expensive sidelock).

From what I can tell from the photos, both of these grades seem to have more of a utilitarian fit, finish, and wood grade than comparable guns from other Spanish makers, such as AYA (model 4/53 and model 2) and even Aspen Outfitters' Ugartechea models. Of course, these other models are priced significantly higher than the offerings at Lion Country.

In the shotgun racket, I assume that you usually get what you pay for; however, with prices of the LC Uggies ranging from $2,300 (Grade III) to $3,200 (Grade IV), I'm assuming that they're not junk, either.

So, my question to those who own one or who have had the opportunity to personally inspect them: just how good are these Lion Country guns? How do you rate materials and workmanship? How do they handle, and stand up in the field? Would you consider them a good bargain, or would you advise spending more to get to the next level?

Last edited by Seymour Sunny; 04/28/10 02:27 PM.