Well Larry perhaps I canot lay claim to any "Original Concepts". I have however been reading & studying any & all things concerning ballistics etc for the past approximately 55 years. Over those decades I have definitely learned a lot about seperating the "Wheat from the Chaff". I will have to say in all honesty that one particular article on recoil by Gough Thomas was the biggest load of "Chaff" I have encountered in all those years. I am not currently at home but if you would like I can post a section from an Alliant loading guide from a few years back where they spent an entire page of it showing "Less Felt Recoil" from a "New Powder" they had introduced which fell in burning rate "Between" Red Dot & Green Dot. You know Larry, there's just not much of a gap there to fill is there.

Quote:
If a powder company is selling a variety of powders--which they all do--what "axe" are they grinding by promoting one as recoiling less than another? Like, Alliant is going to make more money getting folks to switch from GD to RD--or vice versa? Sorry, but that one does not pass the logic test.

Quite obviously Larry you didn't research your answer any better than Thomas did his article for Alliant indeed did just exactly what you stated they would have "No Axe to Grind" by doing. They in fact promoted a new powder of theirs as producing less "Felt Recoil" than their very own old standby which had been a #1 seller for decades.

Incidently Larry if you believe Alliants "Proof" they prove Thomas Wrong, but if you beleive Thomas' "Proof" he proved Alliant wrong for their "Proofs" are diametrically opposed.

Jim;
I understood how the blind test you referred to was conducted, however I have no idea at all how the one referenced by Thomas was done as he gave no details at all on it other than the "Supposed" results, for which I have only his & Larry's word, neither to my knowledge has ever stated who actually made them, except Larry thinks Thomas did them himself, which I am certain is incorrect. I was offered the opportunity to buy his book but after reading it I just saved my money for something else.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra