May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, Jusanothajoe, L. Brown), 210 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,373
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
sfq Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen, Burt Becker was a great barrel man and so was the man who trained him! D.M.Lefever. sfq

Last edited by sfq; 03/20/10 02:26 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

eeb,

Can you read what I'm saying here? Becker did not build that gun, it's a Fox, not a Becker and there's a big difference. In the days when the original gun was build, Becker only worked for Fox and wasn't building guns on his own yet. From what I've been told by the Philly boys, he was a barrel boring man and that's how he built up his name. The gun is in the Fox records, if it was a Becker built gun it wouldn't be.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Destry,

Yes I understand what you are saying, and I agree now that I have reread my Evans. Becker was an employee of Fox during the 20's, not an independent gunsmith. My apologies for putting the wrong info out there.

Ed

eeb #183510 03/22/10 03:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That was the problem with this whole thread and so many like it. Everybody is an expert but is only going from the memory of something they heard or read 10 years ago.

DLH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Someone on the thread asked if anyone knows of Becker's grandchildren. I do know that Mr. Becker had at least two grandson's, not sure if there were more. This may have been mentioned previously. I am guessing that the family was well informed about the auction and probably followed the actiivities as well. I sold a Super Fox to one of them several years ago. He was just getting interested in Burt's skills as a barrel man, gunsmith. He is an attorney in the Chicagoland area.

Dogs On Point!!! - doublenut

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice, I'm glad the family has some interest. So many times that's just not the case.

I believe a lot of Burt's papers and other memorabilia were obtained years ago by one of the major Fox collectors.

Destry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was the guy asking about Becker grandchildren like wise I am glad they have some interest. I have seen a pic in the DGJ of Mr. Becker when he was an old man taken around 1956. Anyone have any other pic of the great gun maker?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think one of his grandsons was a pretty famous tennis player.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Destry, I disagree with you that Becker did not build the gun. I read someplace that Nash requested he build it. Even if he did not request it, there's no telling how much of it Burt did himself. But if he had not had a big part to play in the gun, more so than just boring the barrels, I do not believe he would have put the inscription claiming he did so on the barrels. The lettering does not say "Bored for Nash Buckingham", By Burt Becker", it says "Made".

I indeed misspoke when I said "exactly as they exist today". They are certainly reversed from what Nash wrote in the letter years after his loss of the gun. However, given the fact that he mistakenly transposed the digits in the serial number I find it very easy to believe he mistakenly stated which barrel the inscription was on. Thanks for pointing out my error in that statement.

It's not nice to disagree with Queen'Destry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Final disposition of "Bo-Whoop"

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?p=15814#post15814

Very appropriate.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.