June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (SamW), 260 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,591
Posts546,779
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan good story and I think you are wright in what you know. Do you know why Nash fell on hard times I have herd this too? How many guns do you think Nash had in his later years and sold? Also does any know how many Burt Becker guns were maid? Also where was Burt Becker laid to rest "what a man he must have been"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Donnie, I can't really answer your questions about Nash. There are others on this board regularly that are much more knowledgeable about the extent of Nash's gun collection, and about Becker than I. Maybe someone else will provide some answers for both of us.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher

The tip inlay was eventually lost from the original forearm as shown in this picture.

Then, at some point in the 1930s Nash had BoWhoop restocked, including a new forearm as shown in this picture.

This is the forearm the gun still has. Whether the original XE-Grade stock for BoWhoop was broken or Nash just wanted it restocked to match the very different pitch shown on the lower gun (likely 33050) in the Derrydale picture we'll never know for sure.

Researcher,

Lost ivory? Maybe it was in his pocket? Apart from the ivory inlay, can you otherwise tell they are different forearms? The current forearm is not numbered to the gun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan;
I think Researcher's picture trail pretty well covers the inlay question. Please note when I asked this it was not out of skepticism but curiosity, just wondering if it was replaced. Quite possibly this was done done at the same time as the 1st restock.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I have certainly appreciated your input on this post. I think we all knew that Bo-Whoop had to be "Out There" somewhere. It was also self evident that any gun brought forth proclaiming to be it would be "Throughly Scrutinized". Sounds like this one has been.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan: You have done a SUPER JOB in handling the Bo Whoop controversy. You have competently analyzed all the relavent details and matched them with what is known about the gun & Nash.
You have weathered the storm of criticizm that was bound to follow. MY HAT'S OFF TO YOU.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, guys. It just feels good to be able to actually contribute something that some might find interesting or useful.

No problem, Miller. I never took your comments like that. Detailed and informed questions are how we ALL learn. My thanks to you for all your valued information over the years.

Y'all come!

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just curious, anyone know if the IRS gets notified of the sale and selling price? It would seem to me that the IRS would require the auctioneer to provide this information on all their transactions. Otherwise, they wouldn't get their pound of flesh.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My take is "It's my shit and when I sell it I keep the money." End of story. I didn't keep my shotguns as a business transaction or part of my making a living. If I sell a lawnmower for more than I paid for it, it is no one's business but mine. End of story again. How many things have you sold for LESS than you paid for them over the years. I bet its more LESS than MORE, regardless of how careful we are in our shotgun investing. The auction house learned this a long time ago and I don't think they have any obligation to the IRS. I will settle back and see what my rant hath wrought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"The ivory inlay was a trademark of Burt Becker, and definitely is seen in the old photos."

Burt Becker didn't build BoWhoop, it's a Fox that was bored by him when he worked there. He didn't start building guns until later years.

"Old letters and descriptions do mention the inscriptions on the barrels, exactly as they exist today."

The only reference I know of to the barrel markings is in that letter and it states that his name is on the opposite barrel from the Julia gun, it says nothing about the Becker name being on it at all. Do you know of another reference I'm unaware of?

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sadly, Mr. Eightbore, your view, while noble, is not one the IRS considers that of a person who wishes to stay out of jail.

A profit of most any sort will place you in the 'owe money' category. Certainly a well trained CPA can get you out of it sometimes, but I'll bet in this case a bloke who paid $50 for a gun, or was gifted it, will be expected to cough up a hefty portion of the $175K to the IRS so they can dole it out to whichever of Obama's minions has the outstretched hand.

In a fair world, no used item could be taxed - only first time sales of goods would be taxed. But, no one said life was fair.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.