June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (Der Ami, Wild Skies, irs, KDGJ, Jusanothajoe, 1 invisible), 348 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,591
Posts546,779
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
vh20 #182810 03/16/10 04:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Everything said is true until we start talking about provenance going back to historical figures in American history. I'm remembering the double rifle of TR and the guns auctioned that were used at the Little BigHorn.I don't think there are any Caruso groupies left or Valentino ones either.Pop culture icons fade away after a couple of generations it seems. I do remember reading "Nash" at 12 or so and liked the stories then and still do.I'm not sure I liked them enough to want his gun even if I could have afforded it.I am glad someone did tho'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Were there ever any factory records to support that this gun was NB's? What was the evidence?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It certainly would have been easy to fake...and with $175K at stake there are plenty of reasons to do so.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, Chuck. It matched the Fox order card to a "T", except that it has been restocked (butt). I examined it and compared it to the Fox order card, and found all to be correct with the exception that Nash ordered it with a pad, and the original stock is gone, possibly replaced many years ago.

Serial number matched the card, markings on the barrels matched, barrel lenthh, chambering, and the other small things that we identified in old photographs of it in Nash's hand, such as the ivory inlay in the fore-end. The Parker expert, Austin Hogan, also examined it at Julia's and said he found no reason to think it was not Bo Whoop, Fox #31088.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In ten years how much will the Plastico Burris Glock bring ?

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
Thanks, that's the first time I actually got the explanation of verification.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe I'll buy it in 50 or 60 years for pennies on the dollar. Sounds good to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not saying it's fake, but all those details could be faked by someone good.

I'd be much more impressed if the story of where the gun has been for the past XX years was included. You know, "My Uncle Jackass was hiding behind a bush stalking Nash Buckingham when he saw him leave the gun behind. He ran out and quickly secreted the gun on his person so no one could see it, then made it back to town and hid it under his Serta King for 52 years."

Sidelock
Sidelock

The word silly was used. All good points about value. Is there any wonder US fiscal policy is unsustainable?

RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just saw the entire Julia photos. Question? Just curious? Gun ordered with recoil pad and 14 1/2" LOP. In the pics showing NB holding the gun, In one shows a leather lace on pad, another shows a rubber recoil pad [as indicated on order card] and a couple show a plain checkered butt plate. Closeup shows the checkered buttplate area on the original stock with no visible plugs for the screw holes. Is the broken so called original stock a replacement also? On the original order, I would assume the overall LOP would have included the recoil pad. Removing that pad from the original broken stock would have been 13 1/4". A little short for NB, I would think. Was the ivory inlay in the forearm common on special order guns? Never seen that before. Fox has there serial numbers stamped on the face of the buttstock adjoining the receiver. Anyone see a serial number on the face of the buttstock or did the repair remove it? Did anyone know that the barrels were stamped with NB and BB's names? Does BoWhoop #2 have the same stamping? Last, when did epoxy become a commonly used repair adhesive and were those brass screws in the buttstock repair? That epoxy repair on the broken stock would have been made pre-1950??

RMC
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.