June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (OldMaineWoodsman, jake van dyke, Dave in Maine, eugene molloy), 495 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,588
Posts546,766
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman,
Yes I am deadly serious about the thread form being 26 2/3rds TPI.
I travelled the road that you are now on some years ago and all I was met with was blank stares and obstruction.Well to me that is like a red rag to a bull, so I got my old friend Phil Heighway, senior designer for the Coventry Tool & Guage to run some checks and he confirmed with the use of a shadowgraph printout that the thread form was 26 2/3rds his comment was that whoever invented that threadform 'was a miserable b****rd' with nothing better to do.
The Parker Hale accessory business was bought out by the company who make the 'Bisley' range of cleaning kits and rods,called John Rothery Ltd., the most unhelpful company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.
Like all problems they have a solution if you persevere.Once I had sorted out the thread form and pitch, I just made my own tap and die out of tool steel, hardened and tempered and 'viola' after all I am only cutting brass or aluminium with them so they work great.
As regards 26tpi BSC & BSF, yes Roy is correct and I also checked this out early on and was extremely frustrated to be near, yet so far. With short thread engagements you are so very nearly there but it just does not feel right, especially if you are trying to make a nice 'posh' set of ebony rods.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. Will have a look at this situation - again - when I get home. 26 2/3 TPI!!!! Reminds me of a "learning" problem a drafting professor gave our class wherein the obvious solution was a sprocket with 44 1/2 teeth. It was surprising/disappointing how many guys settled for that solution. Prof claimed to have found this as a real life problem on a troublesome ag machine in his early career; couldn't figure out why it kept breaking chains!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Once I had sorted out the thread form and pitch, I just made my own tap and die out of tool steel."

I'm curious on how you cut 26 2/3 TPI. Are these threads double lead? Stanley Planes made some weird threads on their early block planes for adjusting the blade depth. These threads were double lead, 180 deg from the other.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

In 35 years as a machinist I don't think I ever saw a lathe which would chase 26 2/3 tpi. Even if it were a double lead 13 1/3 would be no better. These threads would simply require a special set of change gears. It also does not convert to any metric thread lead so no dice there. Most lathes will cut 26 or 27 tpi but nothing in between.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

If Coventry Tool and Gauge Checked it out as you descibed Its time for me to eat crow!

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I promise you guys the information I have supplied is correct.
If I can find all the details I will post it here.
Obviously anyone who has doubts can measure the pitch of a genuine PH brush thread! ! !

Sidelock
Sidelock

2-Piper is correct; with the right combination of change gears you can cut any number of t.p.i you desire including 26 2/3 t.p.i. The formulae/method for calculating the change gears for,cutting fractional threads, is detailed in the Machinery,s Handbook under the section on, "Thread cutting".The gears required may vary from lathe to lathe because the constant gearing of lathes [Drivers over driven]Used for cutting standard thread pitches dose vary depending on the lathe manufacturer.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 01/24/10 07:37 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.