I have also thought about a double rifle some time in the future. Somehow a rimmed cartridge just seems like the way to go even if rimmless cartridges probably work perfectly well.

The computed recoil of a 9.3x74R in a typical 7 lb double approachs that of a 10 lb 375 H&H and seems more that I would care to shoot very often. The 30/06 would be much more "user friendly".

As long as you are going to be using custom ammunition anyway, a reasonably popular choice in Europe for driven game like wild boar, the 8x57JRS, might be worth considering. Factory ammuntion, Norma available in the US for example, loads a 196 gr bullet at around 2400 fps. Recoil in a 7 lb rifle should be no problem. Recent French publications describe as "less brutual for both the shooter and the gun." Another as the "best cartridge available for driven game".

If I ever buy a double rifle, it will probably be in 8x57JRS. It is a frequent choice in Merkel and Chapuis doubles used in Europe and should be available by special order from US importers.

Last edited by vangulil; 01/03/10 08:26 PM.