June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marks_21, LGF, Jtplumb, smlekid, 1 invisible), 520 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,581
Posts546,696
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geno:

Thanks so much for the effort.

Canvasback:

Does it resemble this Dictator from Lovena(?):

Note the Lovena logo at the bottom. I'm note sure of the trademark date. Also note the typical addressing of the fences/balls and the safety.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Hi Raimey. First I need to thank you and everyone else on this forum for all the information you provide. I hope one day to be able to contribute as well, but in the meantime, for a neophyte to the world of old doubles, finding this forum has been incredible. Big thanks to CJO for pointing me in the right direction.

As far as the picture goes...safety looks identical, fences are engraved with large, and to my eye, fairly crude oak leaves. Not as nicely done as this catalogue picture would suggest. Don't recall the banner engraving for the name but the name is in the same place, Lovena on one side plate and Praha on the other. There are are pair of small barrel wedges on each barrel, one on the top surface and one on the side. Also the side plates have a significant amount of scroll work on them but not 100%....I'd guess about 65 to 75%

One last thing, I was looking at too many guns at the same time but I am pretty sure it's not the H & H style lock as this picture seems to be.

Any idea as to what date this catalogue is from (Thanks Geno)? I'm guessing from the art deco type face that it's from between the wars and likely the late twenties to early thirties.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's another image Geno kindly sent me:
This one doesn't have the Purdey nose like the Dicator.

Canvasback:

We're all pretty much nubies and credit has to be passed to the many, many folks who have come before us and assembled info. For me it all began attempting to locate accurate info and just kept hitting brickwall after brickwall and I'm sure others can attest to the same. Then it became a passion which in turn lead to an obsession; so beware.

For some reason Lovena is a very difficult firm to pin down.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Raimey.....Now this one is very similar to what I was looking at.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Geno, thanks for the pics from the catalogue. Do you have a date for when it was issued?

James

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's 2 other images:

Rail drilling

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Do you have a date for when it was issued?

James

No idea. I can't find the rest pages with cover. My guess its post war catalog according to description in Russian.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Post WWII is my guess also Geno. The Lovena trademark may have arisen after nationalization/consolidation and I think Mr. Machac to still be with us or that some of the craftsmen that worked under his supervision are still around.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen a reference or two that a Lovena warehouse was damaged by flooding in 2002 and some of the records, post WWII?, were destroyed, possible this firm, http://www.scmvd.cz/detail_vodEn.asp?lang=en&vid=0198 (I sent them an email so let's see what they offer) ? 1920 might just be the correct date of establishment for Lovena.

Here's a lovely Lovena(PERUN?? Model or Champion Model) here:

http://www.waffenobermeier.de/cms/front_content.php?idcat=104

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Well, I've had a chance to see the gun again....bought another while I was looking, a single shot J & W Tolley, looking pretty original but that's another story. I wish I could post a pic but that will to wait until I buy the gun...if I do.

The gun does have the Purdey nose on the barrels like the Dictator but the engraving is very much like the Champion. It has the following features:

-bar action side lock, with gold plated lock internals, cocking arms, ejector hammers
-12g. 2 1/2"
-28 1/4" barrel length, bores in very good condition
-.026", .026" chokes
-Double trigger with front articulated trigger
-ejector
-double Purdy underbolt locking with third sliding bite
-bushed firing pins
-cocking indicators
-intercepting sears
-rose and scroll hand engraving
-horn butt plate
-screw slots in very good condition
-engraved barrel sling swivel base
-tapered rib
-Suhl and CZ proof marks

Please note that last feature....Suhl proof marks that look original to the gun then some additional CZ proofs that are rather crude and almost on top of the Suhl marks. The marks point to the immediately post WWII period.

So far we have theorized the gun was German made and proofed and sent to CZ / Lovena to get around punitive duties levied against Germany in the post war period. Any thoughts?

I've had it inspected by my trusted gunsmith and his opinion it is of very high but not London Best quality. I'm trying to figure out what to pay for it and I'm spending a lot of time scratching my head.

All your thoughts are appreciated.

James

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.