Many here conviently forget that the Soviet Union was no more than a large enslaved encampment for most of the last century, with hysterical leadership murdering millions of their own. Not too far fetched to imagine sporting gun maintenance being somewhat far down the list for the wretched few who might have had them. Remember, Soviet leadership tried, and failed, to have proper maintenance done on a pair of English bests, only to be told the guns were stolen-I don't suppose the English had to tell them the original owners had been murdered by that same leadership, as well. You want to call it chauvinist nonsense, go right ahead, I say it bears directly on the question at hand.
People struggled. Their implimentaria bears witness to the struggle.
There is plenty of stupid to go around, but, the world has never seen anything like Soviet stupid-comparing TMI to Chernoble only drives home the point. No other country ever tried to produce so dangerous a design as a graphite pile reactor, or paid so heavy a price for it. Under that mentality, a people tried to survive. I wouldn't be surprised if their hammers and anvils are un-usable, when examined today.
If Geno wants to claim every single Darne he has ever seen is loose, well, I say "look around, pal". The rest of the world hasn't had the same experience.

Either of them.
Best,
Ted