Originally Posted By: lister1911
Thanks guys for all the responses! Being fairly new to doubles, I'm intrigued by the Darnes and Ljutic since these names are new to me. I guess my question should have been; if you were tasked with building and machining the strongest, most durable, action/frame for full power 3" 12ga loads, what existing model would you base your design off of? "Best" was the wrong word since that's a really subjective term and probably based on more factors than just strength. If you guys have pictures of any of these please post or feel free to email directly to me, sd.lister at hot mail.

Thanks again!

We can only learn if we ask questions.

Strength is a relative issue in this case. You can build for strength, eg will survive 5x a proof load, or you can build for reliability, eg can go for 100,000 rounds without any parts wearing breaking. So often these discussions focus on one or the other. A truly good gun is a comprise that hopefully takes strength and reliability into account.

I am happy with a monobloc and greener cross bolt. Are there better designs around? Yes, but I will never need them.

Pete