Michael, please pardon the stone-age reproduction. These are photos of a VHS video playing on my small shop TV but you can get the idea from the examples shown, albeit however dimly. I was unable to find the specific example of an initial that I had in mind, it may have been a CRS pipe dream. This first one will show the positioning on the backstrap.

The next ones will show the development of the scroll and the recessed, pebbled background that became a hallmark of his later work. I envisioned the same or a similar technique applied to a monogram or initial or other ornament that would lie above the level of regular shooter skin contact and thus be somewhat protected from any undue wear or disfigurement.

If you or your engraver would like to see the entire 3-tape series, we can probably make some arrangement (G). I've found quite a lot of inspiration in his tapes for application in my own scrimshanding work.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!