June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marks_21, Lloyd3, Mills, eightbore, SKB, LeFusil), 366 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,642
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#153975 07/10/09 09:10 PM
griz Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's the deal...Firearms collector estate auction sale here in my hometown next weekend...Subject gun is listed.

Problem is no one can get a look at it until sale day, and only description is "Westley Richards 28 Ga."

Doing some brief research on the net I see asking prices from $3500 for some old worn hammer doubles to $100,000 for a 1939 vintage matched pair.

We never see these high end double guns out here in flyover country. I am not particularly interested in owning one, but I would hate to see someone steal it.

What can you tell me to look for in a Westley Richards other than the usual?

Thanks in advance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just make sure it is the real Westley Richards, and not this JABC "Richard" 28-gauge hammer double --

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look for genuine English proof marks. Best to obtain some idea of what to look for that are correct for the period in which the gun was made. Nitro proof or black powder proof can have a bearing on value. You will want assurance that it is still in proof. Not an offence to sell an out of proof gun in the States but it would attract a sizeable fine here in Britain. If the barrels are badly pitted and the action is worn or the stock cracked it is not worth it unless it is one of the very highest quality guns and then cost of renovation may be in keeping with the value afterwards. One tip with Westley's is that they mainly had the proof marks engraved in rather than stamped; something the proof house will do for a slightly higher cost. Westley Richards trade mark is a triangle somewhere on the breech. They are also generally of high quality. They have full records available and can confirm the identity of the gun. If in doubt about anything make sure that you can get a refund if the gun is not what it seems. Some people confuse Westley Richards with W. Richards. Guns marked W. Richards may be anything from a well made gun by the firm of W. Richards of Liverpool and Preston; still in business and again with full records, or else a dreadful Belgian gun marked W. Richards made to trap the unwary and exported to the States in large numbers. Could be a bargin but could be trash. A bit of research will pay dividends.

I think I would smell a rat if they are reluctant to allow a viewing or inspection prior to sale. I would query what they might be hiding. Caveat Emptor! Good luck. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rat!-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

I should have mentioned the obvious signs. Look for the words Westley Richards; a lot of spurious ones will have Westly Richards, Wessley Richards or variations thereof. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus

I think I would smell a rat if they are reluctant to allow a viewing or inspection prior to sale. I would query what they might be hiding. Caveat Emptor! Good luck. Lagopus.....

Many public estate auctions do not allow viewing of firearms prior to the day of the sale. Many advertise that firearms are stored off premises until the day of the sale for security reason. Usually though there is several hours prior to the start of the auction for inspection.

Last edited by ohiosam; 07/12/09 06:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I suppose that makes sense. griz, do let us know how you got on and what the gun was like. Thanks. Lagopus.....

griz Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just returned from the aforementioned gun sale. Had a heck of a time finding said gun. I was looking for a double. Turns out it was a single shot hammer gun. Appeared to be a genuine Westley Richards to me. Had "Westley Richards London" engraved on top of barrel - triangle mark on breech - British proof marks - serial #7978. Barrel was nice inside, no pitting. Nice wood. I would call it an 85 percent gun. It did not appear to be refinished. Was surprised to see it had a half octagon, half round barrel. Wish I would have had a scale because it was really light. Would have had trouble making four pounds methinks.

Sold for $700 - not to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could have been a converted rook rifle?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would doubt it if it was bored to 28 as most rook rifles just about make .410's. I would suspect that it was made as such. The description fits that as owned by a friend of mine who has one in 32 bore by Westley Richards. The half octogon down to round was quite a common feature on English singles. $700 doesn't sound like a bad price. Thanks for the update. Lagopus.....

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.