Relax everybody. I said early on that I had no intention of firing this thing with smokeless, black or otherwise. Never considered it for a moment. Don't know how you got the idea in your head. I did say that I thought it was chambered for 2 3/4 inch shells, and now that you mention it I'm probably wrong about that. It's more likely meant for 2 1/2 inch shells as Lagopus says, though it would chamber a modern 2 3/4 inch, the chamber is not quite long enough for the unfolded crimp; close but not quite. As I'm sure you know it's the unfolded length that is important. It really makes no difference how long it is when it goes in, no matter what kind of crimp it has.

I'm still interested in finding out who the maker was and any other information I can get. I started this as a search for knowledge, not a fishing trip, and I've learned a lot in the last couple of days.

At first I thought it was a Midland but it appears too old for Midland. It may be Belgian but knowledgeable people here doubt that theory, so for the present I must discount that. The 12C inside a diamond appears to be irrelevant, except that it means it was made prior to 1887. In my mind Scott is still a possibility though it doesn't appear to be the 1882 model C that I saw online. I have yet to see a "C" Quality Model 67 Scott however, and it could even be another model Scott. So, my mind remains open, and the search for knowledge goes on. One thing I want to make clear, and respectfully so. I have no intention of getting into some sort of online pissing contest over it.