Steve,
Thanks for posting the photos.
There's not much to say about Pope barrel # 4428 - 688. I don't know much of anything about Pope numbers, all I can tell you is what is on the barrel and of course you see what is written on the targets.

I bought the barrel just as a barrel with the targets, no frame came with it, bought it from an old guy in CT in the late 50's, only bought it to shoot, I had a third Model S&W to put it on, of course you know what they look like, if you seen one you have seen them all. I still have both the barrel and the third model S&W, in fact I have all the single shot S&W's plus a bunch of other single shots like the Colt Camp Perry, USRA single shots, Stevens single shots etc. Over the years I've shot just about all of them in slow fire competition. The Camp Perry, USRA, and the S&W's all shot about the same, very tight groups at 50 yds., the only ones that were not up to the accuracy standards were the Stevens, of course I never had a Stevens Pope.

The odd thing about this Pope barrel is that it's a third model barrel but it's numbered in the second model range, second model numbers run from 1 to 4630 so you can see it's well within the second model range. # 4428 would be 1909 production barrel, the third model numbers were supposed to have started around 4620, in fact S&W number 4656 has a Pope barrel # 704 that was C. S. Axtells gun. As you probably know the first and second model barrels are interchangeable, but the third model barrel only fit third model frames.

Probably already yakked way to much about my stuff, would like to have more info on Terrys 1891 J E Gorman gun.

I have searched some of the records I have on J E Gorman and the 1908 Olympic records say that he came in third with a score of 485 X 600 for a Bronze, the Gold being won by a Paul Van Asbrock of Belgium with a 490, and the Silver won by R. Storms of Belgium with a 487.

Also checked who the team Captain was as most times the team Captain would be way to busy with other things to shoot an event like the Olympics but it can happen, my records show that Reginald H. Sayre was team Captain ?.

Terry,
I don't want to be picky, picky but can you tell us what is engraved on the other side of the medal and where you found your info.
ST