Jeff - I don't have that particular gun either. Sorry.

Clair - The one exception to your information is the gun Jeff provided - the Daly model 80. The Daly model 80 shows up in the 1902 SD&G catalog (It is not in either the 1899 catalog or the 1903 catalog.) It is the lowest grade Daly gun offered in the catalog, retailing for $80. In the catalog write-up, SD&G makes reference to having used the "same manufacturer who makes the Daly drilling" to help them keep up with the "unprecedented demand" for Daly guns.

As the photos show, it is a very Sauer looking gun. That said, I would agree with your other points though, and I agree that the book reference has it wrong. Some high-grade Dalys have a stamps for the Sauer patent for securely attaching the rib to the barrels near the breach end of the barrels. I think that has caused some to conclude they were Sauer made guns - not true.

The SD&G enterprise fell apart in the late 20s though one could get a "Prussian Daly" for several following the break-up of the firm. This period of the Daly story is a little murky. This is why I hesitate to saw "never" on the Sauer-Daly question (other than the model 80.) That said, I have not see one, other than the drillings and the model 80.

Ken

Ken