I have a twelve gauge that is an ASE. It has the same lockup as an SO5. It was made in the fifties and it has two triggers with a straight grip. I believe the "L" in ASEL indicates higher grade engraving, wood, checkering, and finish.

From the "World of Beretta" by RL Wilson - gun first appeared in the 1949 catalogue:

"The ASE:
Beretta's catalogue of 1949 (83) first published the "Sovraprosto . . . Batterie Brev. 47--Cal 12-20." Termed the "MOD A.S.E." the gun was described as with chrome molybdnum steel barrels, the breech finished in chrome-nickel, the ejectors automatic, engarving in English style, double triggers, chamber for 12 and 20 gauge.

The A.S.E.L.

Also in the Beretta 1949 catalogue (83), the new A.S.E.L. had barrels of special chrome molybdenm steel; Holland & Holland type locking system; automatic ejectors; extra deluxe finish; chrome-plated internal parts; in 20 and 12 gauge. Weigh, in 20 gauge 5.4lb (2.45 kg):

It then goes into a long description of the ASE Deluxe which states "Made in the renowned SO Shop..."

So apparently only the "Deluxe" grade was made in the SO Custom shop. The ASE and ASEL were made in the regular production facilities.

My ASE is very well made. The checkering is very very good as is the fit and finish. It balances well, 28-1/2" barrels. What little engraving there is is very good. The ejectors are flawless. Machine made matted rib. It sounds like a hydraulic bank vault door being closed when I close it up.

Best,

Mike

Edit: Correction - the quote about the ASE Deluxe is from a 1997 catalogue so it doesn't mean the ASE and ASEL weren't made in the SO shop.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 01/10/09 11:46 AM.

I am glad to be here.