Jim: Maybe "slam" was too harsh a word, but it was a pretty darn long list of reasons you think the 16 is redundant for me to have to digest, just when I was all ready to hit the sack. I happen to prefer the 16 over the 20 (but own some of both) and you happen to prefer the 20 over the 16 (but probably own some of both) ... the important thing, as you suggest, is that we both love ice cream, don't we? Ironically, we've turned a question about the 28 into a debate over 20s and 16s, and I'd take either over a 28! You mention reloading as a problem, and many of your issues with the 16 are ammo-related, whether store-bought or home-made. I've only observed the market for about 10 years, but am under the impression that the ammunition situation is at least improving for the 16 gauge. That's good news, if true, because I believe a 16-ga. side-by-side is ideal for upland hunting, and if built right (many aren't), more comfortable and attractive than a 12. Of course, I could say the same about 20s, I suppose ... if I was so inclined. Best to you. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins