Jim, "pitch" and "drop", typo in second paragraph. was talking about picth both times.

and like i said, i can't reconcile that making any sense. it's just that when i did a deliberate study on 18 or so guns - sxs, o/u, auto, pump - the only dimensional factor in common among the ones that i didn't feel i shot well was lots of pitch.

last week i shot a crescent arms 12 i got from my dad that had real close to zero pitch but way more drop than i normally like. so much pitch it tended to slide down off my shoulder as someone else noted above. yet in spite of all that it was very easy to hit with.

it did occur to me there's one other factor in the seasonal adaptability of the push-away gun mount. while this does make a common gun mount work regardless of clothing worn, it can change the point of impact because the shooters cheek will be further down the comb line in winter than summer. like lowering the rear sight on a rifle. the straighter a stock is, the less significant this is. i've coincindentally noticed i don't like stocks with lots of drop either.

one of the easiest guns to hit with i've had in recent years was an ithaca import perazzi mx-8 monte carlo stocked trap gun. that particular gun is what really got me to paying attention to dimensions. i used to just shoot what i had and never gave it a thought.

roger