Restore the name.

Actually, that's a great idea. What, in your opinion, would be necessary for that to happen?

Okay. Allow me to suggest that this either has been done, or is in the process. Not sure exactly where each person would put the progression.

As I walked down the line yesterday and saw 80 million dollars worth of new, 7-axis CNC machines turning out guns which are so much better than those being made in the "good old days," it seemed to me the the company, and the name, are back.

The tolerances they now work with are a hundreth of what it used to be. In the old days, if you dinged the side plate of your revolver, you had to send the gun back. None of them were the same, and each required hand fiting -- expensive. Now, they are interchangeable. Pistol barrels are much more accurate -- match grade on all models.

There is a spirit of innovation and quality there that has not been seen in 15 or 20 years. And, they are open to suggestions.

I didn't know what I would find there, but I was quite impressed.

Sandy Froman, president of the NRA, will be there next week. S&W will be doing some big things with the NRA.

One of the things I know they are doing to "restore" the name is getting out of licensing deals for products which should not wear the S&W brand.

They are doing licensing of the brand with select companies -- those who make products compatible with the quality and venue (?) of Smith.

When Tom Taylor, head of sales and marketing, came to S&W from a soft drink company, I was really concerned. I took him aside and talked with him like a Dutch uncle. Since I don't work for them, they can't fire me! I talked about the lawsuits, the damage done by the previous owners and specifically Ed Schultz, the president. I told him that he needs to SHOOT and HUNT a lot. Personally.

To his credit, he has done exactly that. And, he listens to the experienced shooters and hunters on the staff. Of course, they have Jerry Michulek doing demos and product consulting. Julie Golosky, one of the top women shooters, now works in the office at Smith.

The double guns will not be on a par with best guns. Not even with the top Italian or Spanish guns. But, they will, I think, be very nice guns at the price point. Also, I expect to see subtle improvements over the next couple of years -- maybe just offers of high grades -- which may be attractive to traditional doublegun lovers.